Travel deals forum

Far East Asia Tour flight help please

• Soulman1949

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2011

Hi there.

Just joined the forum and looking for some flight advice, please.

I'm a British citizen (Manchester, UK) and thinking of doing an Australia/Far East Asia tour in a few months time, my first time outside Europe and North America. The plan would be to fly out to Sydney, then visit my friend near Brisbane. After that, I'd like to drop in on Japan (Tokyo), Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore before flying back home.

I'm looking initially to get a feeling for costs involved and the best way to approach the whole issue of travel between the various destinations. Would I be better booking individual flights between each place or are there multi-hop deals for travel between multiple Far East destinations?

Thanks

Alan

#1 Posted: 6/6/2011 - 00:16

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi Soulman,

No easy answer here, but I've found that most often booking individual flights from budget airlines for shorter hops around Asia is cheaper than booking a cohesively planned out air "tour" from a site like www.airtreks.com, although that site is pretty cool and worth checking out. The major budget airline for Asia (they also do limited service in Australia) is Air Asia (www.airasia.com), but Jetstar (www.jetstar.com) can also be key, and there are others that I've never flown, some with perhaps not the greatest reputations. In my limited experience both Air Asia and Jetstar have been solid.

Of course, you'll have to figure out your route before you can get any specific prices... Seems like Brisbane > Singapore > Malaysia > Thailand > Hong Kong > Japan would make the most sense, but of course it's up to you. Of course, you can also travel overland through Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand, although flights from (for example) Singapore to KL and KL to Bangkok are very cheap.

Of course there are dozens of other major airlines that will do any route you need, but obviously not at budget prices. Any search engine travel site will do for generally narrowing down the best fares on those... Personally I prefer expedia for getting an idea of whose offering the best fares, but after getting an idea it's always best to check with the actual airlines' direct websites. I always try to book directly through an airline rather than a travel site because it's generally less of a headache in case of the need to change or cancel your tickets. Note that Air Asia and Jetstar (and most other budget airlines) don't show up on most travel websites; for those you have to go directly to their websites.

Best thing to do is just go on the websites, punch in some dates and see what you come up with.

good luck,

DL

#2 Posted: 6/6/2011 - 01:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Looking to do my first few-month south-east Asia tour -- need reassurance! ... By mrseb on 22 Jun 2010 10 2643 23 Jun 2010