Travel deals forum

Air Asia - really this cheap?!

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Hi, first time visit to SE Asia. I'm coming from the UK and rather than pay the silly prices quoted to me by my travel agent for internal flights I thought I'd check out Air Asia. Ever heard the saying too good to be true?! These prices are so cheap and the reviews of the airline are so good, there must be a catch? Someone please convince me there is no catch!

#1 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 04:45

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There's no catch -- but be sure to check the small print re taxes and surcharges -- a $20 fare can easily become $40 -- but regardless still very cheap.

#2 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 08:15

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Their price usually goes up around 50% as they have add-ons like bag charge, tax etc.
    Also, it's usually a lot cheaper to book them well in advance as the price goes up nearer flight time. I must say they always seem pretty good to me and I've travelled with them many times.Only once did we have a delay because of mechanical failure but they quickly re-routed an empty plane so the delay was minimal.

Yousaf222
    'every airline is offering cheap flights specially for Asian passengers.' ??????
    Can you explain?

#3 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 02:53

• waytogo

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

It's a good airline.

#4 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 07:38

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Goodness me, I posted this around 3 years ago.
    Surprising to be getting responses – someone must be bored at work ;)

In answer to my own question, yes they are a marvellous airline. Having travelled to SE Asia 3 times since I made the initial post I can confirm that I was more than Happy with Air Asia.
    Having said that I’ve still not been brave enough to book them for a UK to KL flight. Would be interested to hear if anyone has used them for a flight of that length, particularly interested in comfort etc.

#5 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 10:13

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I believe they've discontinued the UK to KL flights. I didn't think they were that competitive anyway. Air India seem to be the cheapest at the moment.Their not bad if you can handle the nightmare of security in India.Plenty of leg room, good food and not mean with the drinks.
    Sorry I should add that is UK to Bangkok not KL.

#6 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 11:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.