Travel deals forum

Is an ISIC or student travel card worth it?

• Drapes1

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2010

Hi

I'm just wondering if any of these cards are worthwhile in SE Asia? I know its a bit off topic here but I'm also going to Australia and New Zealand after SE Asia. Also, if they are worthwhile can they be bought for cheaper in SE Asia?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 17/1/2010 - 00:08

• Advertisement

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hello,

Good question, also have it in my mind as the card promises the best deals but, as it happened to me in my last trip, people don't know it and won't give you any discount. The 9 euros I paid were absolutely lost money... Actually when I did it the person didn't even ask for a document proving that I was a student, which I think speaks for itself. Another question is how many places will actually give discounts only for students? Usually a place that will give discounts will have it for young people, under 20's and won't restrict as only for students.

But I'm too looking forward for the confirmation of someone experienced in SE Asia's case.

#2 Posted: 17/1/2010 - 02:21

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

When I was in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore last year there wasnt any student discount or student pricing anywhere- it's so cheap anyway it wouldn't really make sense for them to offer it, i think it's more of a western thing! But we went to Australia afterwards and wished we'd brought a student card with us because a lot of hostels, tourist sights/days out etc have much cheaper prices aimed at students and we could have saved a fortune! I'd say, just get one of the cards and even if you don't get any use out of it in Asia you'll definitely use it in Oz!

#3 Posted: 1/5/2011 - 20:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Fake ISIC card in Hanoi? Are there any? ... By Lukepattison on 30 May 2007 9 3716 3 Jun 2007
Saving money with a student card ... By FishUdders on 5 Jan 2012 3 1891 14 May 2012
Being a student in Indonesia and travel afterwards ... By aprilshine on 27 Mar 2013 1 877 29 Mar 2013
Best places for student travel in Malaysia? ... By terenkleon on 26 Jan 2012 1 2753 27 Jan 2012
American student trying to travel to Burma ... By naloring on 23 Sep 2009 14 5935 6 Aug 2011