Travelfish Guides forum

Noob Travel Guide Question

• ContraKindle

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2011

Hi Fellow Travellers,
    I read a request for a Thailand Travel Guide from 2009 and was looking for any guide that was completed. I know this is probably a redundant Noob question. Any suggestions would be appreciated:)

#1 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 15:17

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You need to log in, then click on the Free Guides link at the top. From here, you can create your own PDF guides for selected areas of Thailand (and other SEA countries). The guides basically just compile all the info from this website for that area.

Alternatively, use the iPhone Apps to buy a portable guide for selected areas. I haven't had used one yet but did see an early version of one some time ago. By all accounts, people have found them really useful.

You'll find more info on both on the links above.

There is more info about about

#2 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 16:18

• ContraKindle

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2011

Thanks Lizzie,
    I have a few already built. I guess I was looking to be alittle lazy and see if there was a master compiled one. They seem to work well on my kindle. Cheers:)

#3 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 16:55

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Somtam will probably jump in here sooner or later (unless he's now permanently retired on the hammock!)... but there used to be full PDF guides for a small cost (that were similar to the free ones, but enhanced with maps, etc). But TF have decided to phase them out in favour of building the iPhone Apps. (Too much work to keep them ALL updated I believe was one reason). And as part of that process, the free guides were enhanced as well.

I keep meaning to send a suggestion to Somtam about adding the ability to compile multiple free guides into one big PDF but suspect he is tired of my endless suggestions that create work for him! :-D

If you've rolled over and fallen out of your hammock, Somtam, and happen to be reading this, that would be a really useful thing. It can be a long tedious process to compile then download each one individually..... .

#4 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 02:51

• ContraKindle

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2011

Thanks again Lizzy,
    I would rather pay here than LP or RG. Not that they are bad or anything. Its just that I would like to contribute alittle to help the website to keep going. Everything costs, and I kinda feel like a leech just asking for help and not contributing in some way. Once I get there in a few days, I will at least be able to contribute at least to the reviews.

#5 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 09:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

For what it's worth, Contra, I believe the TF guides are much better than LP - at least in most respects. Accom reviews in particular were generally spot on from what I have seen, and all info is generally more up-to-date than LP as it's 'published' as it's updated.
    On my trip in 2008 to Thailand I carried both - and much preferred TF. Having said that, LP does better maps and probably contains much more general background and culture-type info. But for practicalities, TF wins in my books (so to speak).

I can't wait to get an iGadget (phone or touch) so that I can use the Apps later this year!

#6 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 10:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.