Gear and equipment forum

Is this backpack going to be overkill??

• verbwhore

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2010

This summer I'll be travelling in SE Asia for 6 weeks, primarily through Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

This is my first trip and I'll be going alone, having never, ever backpacked before. However, I'm not entirely clueless and if there is one thing I'm good at it's knowing how to travel light!

Anyway, the point is my parents have very generously bought me a pack for the occasion (thankfully it fell in with my birthday!)

It's a Lowe Alpine 60L with a 20L daypack. Very, very comfortable and very smart looking. But ever the paranoid, I've started to worry that, if anything, I'm going to have too much space and be restricted from that 'free' feeling that comes with less baggage. I don't want to seem like an ungrateful sod though!

Will the pack hold me back for a mere 6 weeks alone? Or will I get the bug and use it again and again for more adventures? If it's useful to the answer I'm a 24 year old chap from the UK who isn't particularly bothered about cramming in every last book!

Here is a link:

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/lowe-alpine-tt-world-tour-nd-60-20--womens-/p5027

By the way, I know it's a 'woman's' pack :-) But I'm a pretty slender fellow at 5' 7"!

#1 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 05:03

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I didn't follow the link but. . . toss the duffle bag and keep the day pack. Twenty liters sounds about right.

#2 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 05:43

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

20L... you're a survivor somsai!

Verbwhore, you can always take the 60L at half capacity (if you'll be able to pack that little). The 20L can go empty so that you'll be able to use it freely in day-trips. It's also good for taking stuff in the flights.

Cheers!

#3 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 14:31

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I'd say for 6 weeks 60 Litres is overkill. Easily solved though, just don't fill it. You'll have plenty of room for anything you buy.

I found that 'stuff' general expands if you let it anyway. My 60 litre pack probably could have taken another 20-25 litres worth of stuff easily but it still managed to reach the top of the pack. Perhaps i am just a terrible packer though...

Just don't be tempted to take more than you need just because you have space, mid-trip you'll be thinking "why the hell did i bring that?!".

#4 Posted: 31/3/2010 - 01:46

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Take the extra space, if you like shopping (and south east asia is shopping heaven) it will come in super handy at the end of your trip, and will save you having to take 10kgs of hand luggage on the way home like someone I know .... :P

PS. i think you will catch the bug

#5 Posted: 31/3/2010 - 06:42

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi there,

As mentioned earlier in this thread, having a big pack isn't a bad thing just don't fill it up with the first week.

Looks like a nice pack, go for it!

#6 Posted: 31/3/2010 - 08:19

• verbwhore

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2010

Thanks for all of your replies guys and gals!

I think I just needed a few seasoned people to put my mind at ease - after all, it was such a wonderful gift so I'd hate to think of it going to waste. I'm sure it will see many more trips anyway!

It has all kinds of compression straps and gubbins which should hopefully keep the overall size down. I'm being *very* strict on myself about taking too much. As already mentioned, I'm sure I'll pick up things along the way and since this i my first time out I might need that extra room for making mistakes!

#7 Posted: 31/3/2010 - 18:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.