Gear and equipment forum

75 L backpack...too much or just about right??

• bakpakk

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2010
    Location Cameroon

Hey guys, so I'm thinking about getting a New 75L Internal frame camp travel hiking backpack bag for my trip to SE Asia next month. I'll be traveling for 21/2 months so I was wondering if 75L is just about right or too heavy.

I'm a guy, a runner, fairly muscular and I don't intend to pack too much when I head out. I just think having a 75L might come in handy if I pick up things along the way which I intend to bring back home.

Thoughts? thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    bakpakk

#1 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 01:02

• Advertisement

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

is that 21 to 22 months? or 2 and a half?

If its 2 and a half then i'd say 75lt is WAY to big. If i were you i'd go for something around 50lt. If you plan on buying loads of stuff toward the end just buy a second bag and fill it. Personally, i had the intention of buying a fair amount of stuff but when it came to it nothing really caught my eye...

If you're going for 21 - 22 months then 75 might be abit more reasonable! i'd always prefer to carry less though so would probably try squeeze what i need into a 65lt

Hope that helps?!?

#2 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 03:19

• bakpakk

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2010
    Location Cameroon

It's suppose to be 2 and a half months, sorry about that. Thanks for the response. I would definitely look into something smaller.

#3 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 05:21

• Voyagner

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Yeah go with 65 max, I think 55 is a good size.

#4 Posted: 1/5/2010 - 12:48

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi,

I must say that I travel with a big 70l with a 20l detachable small day-pack, always, many times it isn't at full capacity but just think that a single gift that might be a little bigger might take away more space than you thought. I completly agree that less is more, but 40l of stuff will weight as much in a 40l backpack as in a 75l backpack...

Another point of you just to make your decision harder! ;)

#5 Posted: 1/5/2010 - 15:33

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Another point is that if your next trip will be to a cool place, think about the space that wool jumpers will take... with a 75l you'll have a backpack ready for any trip.

Cheers!

#6 Posted: 1/5/2010 - 15:40

• willcas

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2010

75 Ltr !! That's huge !! 45 Min to 55 Max !

#7 Posted: 22/5/2010 - 07:58

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Seventy-five liters is huge. If you take it, it will fill. And you will not be happy, regardless of how muscular you are. Willcas' recommended 45-55 is a better idea.

#8 Posted: 22/5/2010 - 20:31

• JourneymanT-
    raveller

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2010

I have just recommended the Osprey Aether 70 for a 4 month trip, but they also do a 60. It's extremely comfortable to carry and lightweight itself. It's also very durable. I've used it for 5 days, for 5-6hrs a day, hillwalking Hadrian's Wall so you can imagine how comfortable it is. 75 litres is too big for 2.5 months - you will be able to get your clothes washed and buy anything else you need out there. Pack light and you'll be able to cover more distance, see more and enjoy your trip more. You'll be lugging your pack onto and off tuk-tuks, trains, buses and planes so the smaller it is, and the easier to carry, the better.

You need an idea of what to take and, more importantly, what not to take. Be frugal with your packing.

#9 Posted: 28/6/2010 - 15:30

• williamtayl-
    or

Click here to learn more about williamtaylor
    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009
    Location Japan

I have a 75L pack and I'm glad I do. I also ride Air Asia all the time, which means that usually there is less than 15 kilos in my pack. But it's good to have that extra size for traveling around in country so you can stock up on food/toilet paper/supplies and what not.
    You can save considerable money on toilet paper by buying a big pack of it instead of individual rolls.
    For a two month trip probably not necessary, but you could consider it an investment for the future.

#10 Posted: 28/6/2010 - 22:47

• Advertisement

• somethingmo-
    re

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2012

I recently bought a North Face 75 Litre Zealot back pack. I contemplated on going smaller, but I know I will use this bag for other future Multi day Wilderness back pack trips as well as the fairly short 5 week trip to S.E.A starting June 8th I will be going on. I didnt like the idea of stuffing belongings into my bag even though I dont plan on packing to heavy. I like the idea of having the extra space available if need be. I dont believe that is true " if you bring it , you will fill it ".

#11 Posted: 7/5/2012 - 01:35

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I have a 70+10 (detachable) - I agree with Indoluso, you don't have to fill it up, and I usually ship things back, but you never know when you may need the xtra space. Because I don't move everyday, it's not really an issue. Sometimes I wish I had a smaller bag, but over all I'm just glad I'm able to lock mine, a lot of packs don't have this feature.

Toilet Paper!!! Why is that even an issue, I don't use TP when travelling in SEA.

#12 Posted: 7/5/2012 - 08:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.