Gear and equipment forum

Keep money on self, or in hotel?

• robo555

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010

We'll be going to Vietnam and Cambodia for 15 days. Is it better to carry all the money with us where ever we go, or keep them in the hotel?

On one hand, carrying money in money belt means possible scams/stolen, and not convenient when we go to beaches. Leaving in hotel could mean getting stolen.

What's your advice?

#1 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 18:21

• Advertisement

• robo555

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010

By the way, we'll be staying in basic backpackers/hotels.

#2 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 18:30

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

i decide once i've seen the place i'm staying in, said hello to the doorman/woman and checked in. usually, i end up keeping my stuff (passport/cash) in the safe of the front desk - especially when staying for long periods on an island with beach. if you're in a beach bungalow the rooms are just not secure - so stay at a place with a safe and store your valuables with them.

some standard places in say saigon don't openly offer that policy and i see no point in using it as the rooms and location are quite secure, so i usually just leave what i won't need for the day in my room -- if i'm going out to party for the night there is a 90% chance i'll only take what i don't mind forgetting (that being more of a concern than theft).

if the place is sketchy - well, why am i staying there? - but if I just have to, then it stays with me and you can be sure my bag is not strapped to my back but resting securely upon my side.

we all just have to follow our guts and face the consequences on our own

#3 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 20:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.