Gear and equipment forum

Advice on what to take!!

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Hi

Myself and my boyfriend are going to SE Asia for 2months before heading out to Australia for a year on a working visa.

We want to bring a notebook laptop, think it would be really useful in Oz for keeping in touch with home!! Though a bit worried about having it in Asia?!

Also thinking about getting a new camera to bring, would love an SLR, but wouldnt like to pay the money incase it gets stolen.
    Anyone any advice on a good compact digital camera to buy??

Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 01:16

• Advertisement

• jasinorbit

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Hi - I didnt take a laptop on my trip - as we were only away for a short time, but I saw many many people travelling with laptops. Free Wifi in most hotels also. Just take care of it as normal and yuou will be fine. You probably have the same chance of it getting damaged or stolen here in Aus.

#2 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 07:14

• UpwardSpiral

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2009

skip the vaccinations, totally unnecessary. if anything, hep and typhoid. anti-malarials are completely illogical to consume, so stay away from that too. spray yourself and youll be fine.

#3 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 10:33

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Thanks for your reply.

I would just worry that since were backpacking in Asia then theres more change of it getting stolen from our packpacks or in hostels than in an apartment in Aus!!

Thanks Ive got the usuals (hep, etc) so hopefully that will be fine!!

#4 Posted: 28/5/2010 - 03:14

• rachelle23

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

While in travel, I used my handy camera instead of bringing SLR because it's so bulky.

#5 Posted: 25/6/2010 - 11:41

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

The Canon G-11 is a great little camera...very versatile.

I carry a netbook when traveling there, but mainly for reasons of viewing and storing photographs.

#6 Posted: 26/6/2010 - 09:04

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

The Canon G-11 is a great little camera...very versatile.

I carry a netbook when traveling there, but mainly for reasons of viewing and storing photographs.

#7 Posted: 26/6/2010 - 09:04

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

@ nancyxu:

I agree something like that would be handy. The link you posted takes you to an English-Chinese translator. What would be really nice, though, would be a gizmo that would translate for Lao, Khmer & Vietnamese. That, I would buy.

Having said that, there's no substitute for actually learning at least some of the language.

#8 Posted: 11/8/2010 - 10:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.