Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Advice on what to take!!

Posted by catherine25 on 27/5/2010 at 01:16

Hi

Myself and my boyfriend are going to SE Asia for 2months before heading out to Australia for a year on a working visa.

We want to bring a notebook laptop, think it would be really useful in Oz for keeping in touch with home!! Though a bit worried about having it in Asia?!

Also thinking about getting a new camera to bring, would love an SLR, but wouldnt like to pay the money incase it gets stolen.
Anyone any advice on a good compact digital camera to buy??

Thanks!!

#1 catherine25 has been a member since 25/5/2010. Posts: 34

Posted by jasinorbit on 27/5/2010 at 07:14

Hi - I didnt take a laptop on my trip - as we were only away for a short time, but I saw many many people travelling with laptops. Free Wifi in most hotels also. Just take care of it as normal and yuou will be fine. You probably have the same chance of it getting damaged or stolen here in Aus.

#2 jasinorbit has been a member since 4/12/2009. Posts: 37

Posted by UpwardSpiral on 27/5/2010 at 10:33

skip the vaccinations, totally unnecessary. if anything, hep and typhoid. anti-malarials are completely illogical to consume, so stay away from that too. spray yourself and youll be fine.

#3 UpwardSpiral has been a member since 21/5/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by catherine25 on 28/5/2010 at 03:14

Thanks for your reply.

I would just worry that since were backpacking in Asia then theres more change of it getting stolen from our packpacks or in hostels than in an apartment in Aus!!

Thanks Ive got the usuals (hep, etc) so hopefully that will be fine!!

#4 catherine25 has been a member since 25/5/2010. Posts: 34

Posted by rachelle23 on 25/6/2010 at 11:41

While in travel, I used my handy camera instead of bringing SLR because it's so bulky.

#5 rachelle23 has been a member since 8/6/2010. Posts: 20
 Twitter 

Posted by Archmichael on 26/6/2010 at 09:04

The Canon G-11 is a great little camera...very versatile.

I carry a netbook when traveling there, but mainly for reasons of viewing and storing photographs.

#6 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Posted by Archmichael on 26/6/2010 at 09:04

The Canon G-11 is a great little camera...very versatile.

I carry a netbook when traveling there, but mainly for reasons of viewing and storing photographs.

#7 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Posted by Archmichael on 11/8/2010 at 10:03

@ nancyxu:

I agree something like that would be handy. The link you posted takes you to an English-Chinese translator. What would be really nice, though, would be a gizmo that would translate for Lao, Khmer & Vietnamese. That, I would buy.

Having said that, there's no substitute for actually learning at least some of the language.

#8 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.