Gear and equipment forum

International Phones

• gordzilla

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2010

Hi All,
    I'm planning an extensive trip (6-8 months maybe longer) starting in India and making my way over to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, etc. and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with international cell phone plans or any recommendations.
    Thanks.

#1 Posted: 12/6/2010 - 00:25

• Advertisement

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi,

I have no experience in that matter but guides recommend buying a sim card locally. I haven't read anything about costs though...

Hope it helps!

#2 Posted: 12/6/2010 - 00:40

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You need to have an unlocked phone to use local simcards. If your phone isn't unlocked then you can get that done very cheaply in Bangkok. MBK shopping mall at the BTS (skytrain) stop National Stadium has zillions of phone stalls where you can get it done.

Sim cards are very cheap in Thailand... 200-300B? ...can't remember exactly how much I paid for my last one sorry. Anyway, it wasn't more than 300B and included free calls and text messages as well. You can get sim cards everywhere, any 7/11 will have them. DTAC and 1-2call(AIS) are the most common providers in Thailand. The latter has the better coverage (works in places like the Surin islands) but both are OK.

Then all you have to do is to buy top up cards whenever your credit runs out, also very cheap. Length of validity varies according to the price of the top up. I think the 100B top up is valid one week, 300B one month. Outside Bangkok you sometimes have to pay a little bit more than the face value of the card (shop takes a small commission). Shops also do top ups by phone rather than giving you a scratch card sometimes.

Once your phone is unlocked you can buy a new simcard in all the other countries you go to as well.

#3 Posted: 12/6/2010 - 03:40

• rachelle23

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Any GSM-enabled phone where you can buy a local SIM card is a good option for international travel.

#4 Posted: 28/6/2010 - 10:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.