Gear and equipment forum

Advice On Backpack Shopping? UK!

• JamieG

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hi Guys,

Me and my girlfriend are heading out in August for at least 4 and half months in SE Asia, then onto AUS!

We are going backpack shopping at the end of the month but I have no clue what we need? and where to go in the UK for it?

Any advice on the typee/size of backpack and of course where in the UK is best to go for it?

We are in the NorthWest of the UK if that helps anyone!

Thanks in advance

Jamie

#1 Posted: 14/6/2010 - 17:42

• Advertisement

• becci62

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

Hi Jamie, I am off in August too, ideas for your girlfriends bag - I have got a Berghaus Women's Jalan Convertible Travel Rucsac - it has a detachable daybag which I plan to use only as handluggage and as a daybag on our trip to Everest Base camp.

Otherwise I would get just a bag about 50-60L without a detachable bag as i prefer messenger across body style shoulder bags.

The main bag opens suitcase style which i would recommend as top loaders are a pain if you want whats at the bottom. Its fitted for women and padded well with good straps for shoulders and hips and i find it very comfortable.

You ought to both go in somewhere like Millets or Mountain Warehouse, Oswald Bailey or similar shops, try a few on, prefereably put something heavy in them, decide what you want and then go buy it online!! Much cheaper. But do try some on first.

I think my boyfriends is a Lowe Alpine Travel Trekker and he loves it. It has space on the front for fitting a daybag of your choice and is very sturdy. It also has a suitcase opening and the style of it is great, lots of handy pockets and handles. He has 70L - bear in mind he is very strong and we are off for 9 months so you might want closer to 60L.

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 16:09

• JamieG

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Thanks becci,

Awesome advice and just what I was looking for!

I will go and get these sorted now!

Jamie

#3 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 16:12

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

Are you close to Manchester? Nomad Travel is quite good they only have a couple of shops in the UK and they do their own brand which is cheap. I got a 50L with detachable bag for £50. My girlfriend has an Amazon Eurohike 45+15L from Millets.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 16:35

• JamieG

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Yes, near manchester, about 50 mins away!

Ill take a look!

Thanks

Jamie

#5 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 17:13

• rachelle23

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

It depends on what size you like that you can carry, but look for the bag with the size that is allowed on most planes.

#6 Posted: 28/6/2010 - 10:50

• JourneymanT-
    raveller

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2010

Hi! Love this site - we backpacked around South East Asia, India and Nepal on two separate trips but only for 4 weeks each time but this was an amazing resource. We were accessing it for accommodation tips whilst in South East Asia at internet cafes...

I don't want to repeat it all here, but have a look at my blog for some advice on backpacking and what to pack. If you do not have time, I would recommend the following:

Depending on how much actual backpack carrying you are going to do, the Osprey Aether 70 is the perfect backpack. If you get it from Cotswold Outdoors, they will heat mould the hip-belt to your hip which makes it extremely comfortable. A proper backpack should carry all the weight on your hips, not your shoulders. For lengthy trips, this will make a huge difference. I used the Aether hillwalking for 5-6hrs a day, so you can imagine how comfortable to carry it is. It is also extremely light but durable and the lid can be a bumbag as well. As far as daysack is concerned, we have a small shoulder bag which I can shift so it is on my belly when in less secure areas! I got this for $10 in Bangkok (it MUST be fake) but it's easy to roll away into your backpack.

May I also recommend Travel Independent (http://travelindependent.info/) for an excellent resource site.

#7 Posted: 28/6/2010 - 15:24

• rachelle23

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Depending where you are in the UK.. London has lots of travel shops with backpacks.

#8 Posted: 13/7/2010 - 10:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Need help backpack shopping ... By Andreph on 24 Sep 2009 3 1687 25 Sep 2009