Gear and equipment forum

Camping in SEA

• keatonec

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010

I was wondering if it was a good idea to take a tent with myself and my girlfriend while we are traveling around SEA? I have heard about people tenting it on remote beaches totally by themselves and it sounds amazing!

Also I was wondering how much of a hassle it is to carry one around or if we could maybe just rent them wherever we are at the time. Personally I think I would rather just have one with me at all times so I can have the choice right then and there about whether I want to camp.

Also would it be better to say buy a tent in Bangkok or to buy one here?

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 24/7/2010 - 09:25

• Advertisement

• irieman

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010

yeah sounds amazing but the problem is - how will u get there? if u both can drive a motorbike that might be not that bad idea.

anyway - i'm carrying my tent for around a month and have never even considered using it!! i'm talking about thailand. hostels and guest houses are so cheap that it's not worth sleeping in a tent.

btw saw a tent in carrefur in Nakhon Si Thammarath for around 300bht. probably not that good quality but light and small. u can buy it here instead of carrying your own from home.

#2 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 14:32

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Agree with Irieman. Most of the time it just isn't worth the extra weight and bulk. You don't need just a tent either ... after a few days of trying to sleep on rocks and tree roots you soon realize you need a decent mattress too (well I do anyway!)

This said, most of the time my camping equipment is in languishing in storage in Bangkok. I just take it with me when I know I'm going to need it. I bought a cheap tent at Tescos in Ranong years ago and it's paid for itself many times over, but I don't use it (or my mattress) anywhere except for camping in national parks. Most beaches have very affordable basic beach hut accommodation which is much comfortable than a tent.

It's often problematic to travel with lots of luggage in SE Asia too. Carrying a huge backpack in the blazing heat is no fun and there's often limited space on transport for luggage. I think you'll find it a major hassle carrying a tent etc around with you all the time.

If you really want to be equipped to spend the occasional night "under the stars" on a totally deserted beach then I'd recommend getting the most lightweight hammock with a mosquito net you can find instead. It's perfectly adequate for a night and a hammock is always useful, even when you aren't camping!

#3 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 19:08

• Julianne2010

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2010

This is great information. I appreciate the sincere appreciation. Thank you. Great tips! Great organization and ideas. Thanks!. Yes really great info, it motivates me to do something extra ordinary. Keep posting under this topic.

SeaDream Yacht Club

#4 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 11:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.