Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Moneybelt? Flat and comfy to wear???

Posted by JamieG on 3/8/2010 at 23:44

Hi Guys,

Im heading to SEA in 3 weeks and am just buying the last bits of kit!

Now, I wouldn't normally use one, but I think a moneybelt is a must for travelling in South East Asia for a length of time.

So, my question is, which moneybelt can I buy that:

1. Is flat so can be worn under my t shirt without it being visible!

2. Comfy to wear/small etc!

Any ideas???

I have been looking on ebay and online for one, and although I can see pictures I would prefer some first hand knowledge of a money belt that is comfy and hidden under the tshirt without being annoying!

Thanks

Jamie

#1 JamieG has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 17

Posted by chrispyrolls on 4/8/2010 at 18:41

Hey Jamie, the one I have is http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/090616.html

Fits everything in there, and pretty think as well

Have fun

Chris

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by chrispyrolls on 4/8/2010 at 18:41

pretty thin ... not think!

#3 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by savorygal on 4/8/2010 at 22:37

I have a Eaglecreek similar to this (previous model) & it is comfortable & durable.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/security_id/MicroFlex-Waist-Pocket-40473/

I know a lot of people like this silk version but I found the strap too thin

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/security_id/UnderCover-Silk-Moneybelt-40118/

safe travels
suzanne

#4 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 159
 Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 6/8/2010 at 11:46

Ahhh, where are yout traveling in SEA? I'm curious because living here for quite a while, I know of no one who was subject to crime, at least not the kind where having a money belt would help.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by chrispyrolls on 6/8/2010 at 14:57

Have to agree with Madmac on this too - altho i have one, I never use it very much in SEA... most decent places I stay at will store valuables for you, securely of course, so no real need to carry everything strapped to your waist.

The times I have used it, it normally ended up soaked in sweat... that included my passport and cash ... not pretty

#6 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by JamieG on 6/8/2010 at 16:42

Hey MadMac,

I am visiting Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, then through into Malaysia.

I was looking into a moneybelt for the fear of pickpocketing cash I carry around. I was hoping most places I stay will have safety deposit boxes or safes, but for the ones that don't I thought I would need a money belt!

Any info would be great, and thanks to all who have contributed!

Jamie

#7 JamieG has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 17

Posted by MADMAC on 7/8/2010 at 11:57

Well, I always wear pants in which I can place my wallet in my front pocket. It's way too difficult for anyone, even myself, to remove it discreetly. And I usually wear pants with cargo pockets and use them for my passport when I travel to Bangkok. I can't imagine a problem of this sort in Thailand or Laos - outside of some perhaps really seedy establishments. I've wandered all over at all hours - this is as safe as it gets in the human world. Now I can't speak to Vietnam, Cambodia or Malaysia... have to ask others there.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.