Gear and equipment forum

Moneybelt? Flat and comfy to wear???

• JamieG

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hi Guys,

Im heading to SEA in 3 weeks and am just buying the last bits of kit!

Now, I wouldn't normally use one, but I think a moneybelt is a must for travelling in South East Asia for a length of time.

So, my question is, which moneybelt can I buy that:

1. Is flat so can be worn under my t shirt without it being visible!

2. Comfy to wear/small etc!

Any ideas???

I have been looking on ebay and online for one, and although I can see pictures I would prefer some first hand knowledge of a money belt that is comfy and hidden under the tshirt without being annoying!

Thanks

Jamie

#1 Posted: 3/8/2010 - 23:44

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hey Jamie, the one I have is http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/090616.html

Fits everything in there, and pretty think as well

Have fun

Chris

#2 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 18:41

• chrispyrolls

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

pretty thin ... not think!

#3 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 18:41

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

I have a Eaglecreek similar to this (previous model) & it is comfortable & durable.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/security_id/MicroFlex-Waist-Pocket-40473/

I know a lot of people like this silk version but I found the strap too thin

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/security_id/UnderCover-Silk-Moneybelt-40118/

safe travels
    suzanne

#4 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 22:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Ahhh, where are yout traveling in SEA? I'm curious because living here for quite a while, I know of no one who was subject to crime, at least not the kind where having a money belt would help.

#5 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 11:46

• chrispyrolls

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Have to agree with Madmac on this too - altho i have one, I never use it very much in SEA... most decent places I stay at will store valuables for you, securely of course, so no real need to carry everything strapped to your waist.

The times I have used it, it normally ended up soaked in sweat... that included my passport and cash ... not pretty

#6 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 14:57

• JamieG

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hey MadMac,

I am visiting Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, then through into Malaysia.

I was looking into a moneybelt for the fear of pickpocketing cash I carry around. I was hoping most places I stay will have safety deposit boxes or safes, but for the ones that don't I thought I would need a money belt!

Any info would be great, and thanks to all who have contributed!

Jamie

#7 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 16:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, I always wear pants in which I can place my wallet in my front pocket. It's way too difficult for anyone, even myself, to remove it discreetly. And I usually wear pants with cargo pockets and use them for my passport when I travel to Bangkok. I can't imagine a problem of this sort in Thailand or Laos - outside of some perhaps really seedy establishments. I've wandered all over at all hours - this is as safe as it gets in the human world. Now I can't speak to Vietnam, Cambodia or Malaysia... have to ask others there.

#8 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 11:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.