Gear and equipment forum

whats with the bag?

• dannyg

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2010

what the hell is in your massive bag? i find it hard to workout what people have in these 70 odd litre back packs, all around SE asia after quite a few trips to the area i have been to all the main geographical/climatic/social situations and have all the clothing and equipment i need in prob a 25 liter bag list as follows:-

approx

4 shorts.1 boardys for swimming and 3 baggy with plenty of pockets (my day pack)
    about

5 tops 2 tee shirts,2 polo tops and a light shirt

1 trousers light good for mozzie protectin in the evening and in high lands when is cooler

1 towel real one older the better they tend to be more absorbent

1 flip flops

small medical kit

ipod dock

book

what else do you need ?

everything else that you might need you you can just buy, if its not to wet treking in flip flops is fine the locals manage!

please tell me what do you have in them

#1 Posted: 29/8/2010 - 18:46

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I too get along well with a very small pack, but carry different stuff than you. I use those quick drying pants with zip off legs, bring a camera and phone, no ipod, no towel only light checkered thing the locals wear with public shower.

Goretex rain coat, fleece hoody and fleece 3/4 bag, six socks and boots. Where I trek the guide also wears boots if possible and there are no extra blankets.

#2 Posted: 29/8/2010 - 21:44

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I was walking out the door last year with my little book-bag on my back. I was heading to the airport to catch my flight to Vietnam. My wife says to me, "You forgot your luggage you absentminded fool." When I explained that this was my luggage she shook her head in amazement. I pack, three underpants, one shorts, one swim suit, two shirts and the clothes on my back + I-Pod, and a net book. The rest I stuff into my trusty travel vest -- cameras etc. I always pack a collapsible duffel for all the stuff I purchase on my travels so I come home with a lot more than what I left with.

#3 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 23:44

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Are those monster packs full of many and various pieces of clothing? And shoes? And excessive amounts of toiletries? I travel with one set of clothes with an extra pair of undies, socks and T-shirt.

I'm putting together everything I'll need for a round the world trip which includes clothing for cold environments (but not extreme cold), camping gear and a laptop. Everything including some food and water will fit into a 43L pack.

If only travelling to warm locations and using accommodation than a typical daypack is plenty.

It must be evil lugging those giant packs around in Asia.

#4 Posted: 19/9/2010 - 08:30

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

I have a large pack (somewhere around 70L), but its usually only half full at most. I like having the extra space for whatever things I may pick up along the way. I am impressed that you fit that much into a 25L bag though - makes me think I could be doing a better job of the actual packing aspect.

#5 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 05:49

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

Same for me, I agree with the poster, I only use a 35 litre bag.

I live in Bangkok, and so many backpackers are carrying round huge 70 litre bags, which are heavy, you bump into people, and on transport, can make you pay for another seat.

Why do it? Just learn to wash your clothes once in a while and carry less, or buy some cheap T-shirts here.

#6 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 18:51

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

I once stayed in a hostel in Istanbul, and sharing my dorm was a young man from Pakistan. I wondered why he always appeared so neat, until it was revealed to me that he had with him a travel iron. Personally I think this is something with which one can dispense (considering I hardly ever use one even when I'm not travelling). The less I take the better, seeing as how I have to carry it everywhere.

#7 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 21:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.