Gear and equipment forum

Keeping my Stuff Safe

• Bevatron

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2010
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 4

Hi,

I'm taking my first trip to SEA next month, and will be traveling through Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia for two months.

I have read a lot about locking up backpacks, keeping cash/passports on you at all times, etc. My question is, what do I do with these things when I can't be right there with them. For example, during a shower, or while snorkeling/swimming. What do I do with my passport then?

Can I keep my backpack in the hostel/hotel while I am out exploring places, or do I literally need to keep it on me at all times? Where do I keep the copies of my passport?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 02:16

• Advertisement

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

Travel light so you can be flexible.
    Lock your big bag. Carry your important stuff in a small day pack.
    Take photocopies of your passport for your wallet and main bag. (or keep a scanned copy in your email account).
    If you carry all your cash all the time, when you're robbed, all your money goes. Separate your money into 3 areas, daily cash, weekly cash and total cash.
    If you're really worried, put your passport into a waterproof AquaPac (useful for swimming) and shower with it.

#2 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 22:22

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

We left stuff in our hotel all the time, passports/netbook/slr. Granted we were staying more in "flashpacker" digs rather than "backpacker" but still.
    What I did get that a friend recommended was this
    http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=pa400u

It is a laptop lock w/alarm. What we would do is put our day pack with all "valuables" passports(still hidden w/in the pack)/netbook/slr etc in the closet under a chair etc, pile our backpacks on top and wrap this thing around with the lock sitting on top of all the packs...basically if anyone moved our packs this thing lets out a piercing scream.

Not going to stop the most determined thief but will stop people from rummaging around. I don't know if the alarm ever went off but if it did it would let everyone in the hotel no about it! :)

It gave us great piece of mind.

#3 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 22:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.