Gear and equipment forum

Advice on backpack

• reneejordan

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Hi,

Im doing Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia early next year for 2 months.

I'm after some advice on these 2 packs.

http://www.oneplanet.com.au/index.php?option=com_product&view=article&id=141%3Awheelie5060&catid=11%3Atravel&Itemid=5

http://www.caribee.com/product.php?prd=264&alt=3

70L seems big for SE Asia but for future travels around the world it seems viable.

I will be packing lightly and i like the idea of wheels when i cant be bothered chucking it on my back :)

Any adivce appreciated thanks

#1 Posted: 10/11/2010 - 11:31

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, 70 is very big -- you will end up filling it and then you'll need to carry it! I'd be leaning towards a 50 litre in the first version. Though they both look a little uncomfortable to wear - sort of like wearing a suitcase on your nack. Have you considered a more traditional pack? Caribee do make great bags - my first pack was from them and it lasted a good ten years.

#2 Posted: 10/11/2010 - 16:03

• reneejordan

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Yeah i havnt tried thesse on yet but i will be trying them on before i buy to make sure they are comfy.

I have considered a tradional pack but i like the idea of the wheels.... whats a good tradional pack? any ideas? there are so many out there.

Thank you
    :)

#3 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 06:40

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I considered taking a backpack wheels on my last adventure (and even bought one), but changed my mind and decided to carry a conventional packback. And I was glad.

For the most parts, wheels are no good on Asian streets - too much broken concrete, uneven paving stones, and too many obstacles on the footpath/sidewalk! When in Vietnam, your room is almost always on the 3rd floor (with no elevator) so you're going to carry it up anyhow. In the islands in Thailand, wheels do absolutely no good when you have to get your pack off the longboat, across the beach and up the sandy path to your guesthouse.

The only time that I thought wheels would be useful is lugging it around the airports - but of course, there are free trolleys there. Most of the time, I didn't have to carry it far - to/from the bus and into a taxi/tuktuk to take me to my next destination.

Wheels and the associated frame also add weight to your pack which you don't want, and eat into your valuable 'storage' space. And don't think it's OK because you'll be wheeling it everywhere... you won't. Refer to paragraphs above. I still have memories of watching these two girls trying to haul their wheelie case across the sand in Railey - from the mudflat side on the east, across the sandy track to the west side. About a 5 min walk, but definitely harder with wheels dragging in the sand.

Yes, 70litres is big. It's too tempting to stuff it full of 'just in case' stuff. But personally, I probably wouldn't be able to go any smaller than 60-65l. I do like my stuff!

There have been a few discussions on backpacks vs wheelies in this forum - check it out.

#4 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 07:21

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

That Caribee is 3.6kg heavier than what I use to start with!
    After years of travel I can get by with a 40L pack and include camping gear. It takes time but you should try to minimise what YOU have to CARRY :)

#5 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 09:01

• reneejordan

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Yeah for SE Asia the wheels really dont seem necessary. but for future travels around europe they might be handy!

And yes the added weight could be pain too.

40L might be a bit small for me, the extra room in say a 60-65L wouldnt go to waste even tho ill be packing lightly.

i had a look through the caribee website and this one looks ok to me

http://www.caribee.com/product.php?prd=268

thoughts?

thanks again for the help

#6 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 10:13

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I'd like to recommend Deuter. Many of their backpacks have excellent ventilation to help keep you cooler.

GB

#7 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 15:24

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Many great brands out there including Deuter. That pack in you recent link is probably the right type of pack for you. The zip on/off daypack is handy.

#8 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 15:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.