Gear and equipment forum

back-packing: what to bring/ what not to bring

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

hi, been frequently visiting this website, trying to absorb as much info as i can, as i prepare for a possible 3 month excursion to SE Asia...

i bought myself a gregory triconi back pack, size small, 55L.. i feel pretty happy with my purchase? any feed-back?, i can still return it if anything.
    http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/mens/technical/16/triconi-60

and as always, i've been reading, it always seems difficult to decide what to bring and what not to bring. starting off light is the way to go...

just wondering, what are some things that you should pre-purchase before going to SE Asia, for example, items i've read that people suggested, were tooth-paste, deet (insect repellent), wet handy wipes, sun-screen protection, shoes, flips flops, deordorant, flash light, head-lamp, snorkel gear,

mainly i'm looking things that i should bring that are hard to find and/or are expensive to purchase there, and vice versa...

thanks

#1 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 13:12

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You don't really need to 'stock up' on toothpaste unless you've got some special brand you simply must have. Anyway, even insect repellent and sun-screen lotion you can find there when you run out.

A good book or two, many pages, small type. I like a travel towel - they don't absorb the best, but you'll get dry and it will dry very quickly even in humid air.

A phrasebook – just a small one, can be great for each language you’ll be around. Something to study in the evening – and make sure it has the script of the local language so if you can’t pronounce you can just point.

I also highly recommend trusty medicine for diarrhea,headaches, and stomach troubles. For me they go Imodium AD, Ibuprofen, and Tums.

You can check out this link for a fun discussion:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/idlebanter/9834_top-5-things-you-can-t-travel-without---

#2 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 14:55

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Although I did get them in a department store here in Phuket, I managed to buy some flip flops for my rather large feet. You can find almost everything in decent size towns so don't worry too much. Don't feel as if you have to fill up that (in my opinion not so) 'small' pack. If you leave with it half full be proud!

#3 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 15:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bring Brucemoon back! ... By mattocmd on 12 Sep 2009 11 2175 13 Sep 2009
Procedure to bring live plants (flowers) from thailand back to my country (Brunei Darussalam). ... By blueeulb on 7 Jul 2014 0 177 7 Jul 2014
Thailand... How much to bring? ... By RowanV on 19 Apr 2014 4 871 21 Apr 2014
Should I bring a mosquito net? ... By AndyPandy on 13 Sep 2012 2 2224 13 Sep 2012
Items to bring vs. buy while in SEA ... By erikmaez on 22 Feb 2010 3 3803 22 Feb 2010
Back packing from India to Japan and back ... By frastam on 18 Dec 2011 1 970 18 Dec 2011
What supplies to bring? (checklist help) ... By Dayyanum on 1 Oct 2012 50 9627 23 Oct 2012
Need advice: Should I bring my laptop? ... By OishiiEats on 30 Jul 2007 1 1815 1 Aug 2007
bring laptop to cambodia??? ... By jmdma808 on 25 Jun 2009 2 3112 26 Jun 2009
how much money to bring? 10 weeks ... By TheNewGuy8 on 26 Sep 2010 1 2679 26 Sep 2010