Gear and equipment forum

What size backpack should i take to SEA

• skg5589

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2011

Hey there!

I'm travelling round SEA for 4 months in March, female, 5"4, so not very strong lol.

I already have a 40L backpack and was wondering if this is big enough and should I take a smaller rucksack for daytrips??? Also what are the essentials things to take on my adventure!!

#1 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 03:33

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I always bring a day-bag, something big enough for a book, a camera and a bottle of water. Usually I use that as my carry on for the plane . . . you might call it a purse but I prefer satchel.

Just a thought, my day-bag is a single strap, over the shoulder, so it fits more like a messenger bag, that way I can have it on my front while my backpack is on my back - without it dangling everywhere to the side and what-not. Seems more secure when I have both bags, which is usually in a sketchy area with lots of transportation and crowds.

40L should be fine unless you must pack a load of toiletries and you want more than just casual wear. I've always thought the two things that should take up the most space in a pack would be a fleece, a towel, and a pair of close toed shoes. For 4 months you'll acquire plenty of stuff I'm sure, but you can always just mail that home.

For a discussion on some essentials:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/idlebanter/9834_top-5-things-you-can-t-travel-without---

#2 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 08:25

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

40 l sounds about right. I can never figure out what some people put inside those 60 l+ packs.

A daypack can take up precious space in your backpack/rucksack. I suggest you bring one only if you plan to hike or trek on a wilderness trail.

I buy toiletries at the destination but I take a small tube of toothpaste, baby wipes, a small deodorant stick, and small tube of gel soap. They can come in handy while traveling.

I bring a travel towel instead of a regular towel. It is similar to the chamois used for cars. It is small, light, takes very little space, absorbs a lot of moisture, and dries quickly.

#3 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 10:23

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

that's a good call on the shoulder bag caseyprich,

i was planning on bringing my 32 L back pack along with my 55 L, to use as day pack or whatever, but was always wondering how abouts i would carry 2 of them when trekking along, was thinking of tossing the smaller one into the bigger one, but don't think that would work out sufficiently... and putting the smaller infront of me wouldn't work either...

so the only option as you mentioned, is to get a shoulder strap bag, since that'll work out fine on the front...

#4 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 12:27

• shotgun

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2010

I did 6 weeks in a 35L pack in 2010 and it was pretty difficult, not because i couldn't take enough stuff, but because i could barely fit in the stuff i bought after about week 3, which isn't much of an issue, it was all crap anyway. If you are a guy and dont intend on doing much shopping 40L is plenty.

edit: Just re read that you are actually a woman. I still think 40L is sufficient if you dont intend on buying much, but perhaps a larger capacity bag might be a bit more comfortable for you.

#5 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 08:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Backpack size - 3 weeks ... By Miss_Stead on 26 Apr 2011 5 10670 28 Apr 2011
Better backpack size for a woman. ... By nerja on 6 Nov 2011 6 4569 7 Nov 2011