Gear and equipment forum

Take tent or not?

• Ignas

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2010

Yep, soon heading to SE Asia, and I am on low budget, I was just wondering if it would be good idea to take a tent with me. Is there many guesthouses who offers like a garden or place to camp for a night cheap? Idea is not to camp all over SE Asia but to save up some money by not living in guesthouses rooms... Is it worth to take a tent?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 23:18

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Where a simple yes or no will do, a real man will give you a simple yes or no.

No.

#2 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 00:14

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree that you won't need a tent. Rooms tend to be quite affordable, and those few places that do offer tent space typically offer tents to rent for not much money. Carrying a tent around for the rare times you'd need or use it seems like more work than it is worth.

Or, in other words, no. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 04:47

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Is there many guesthouses who offers like a garden or place to camp for a night cheap?

No.
    (Except for a few relatively remote places in upper north Thailand, & in some Thai national parks - but you'll have to pay the inflated entrance fee for foreigners on top of a fee for a place to pitch your tent, which can negate any savings.)

#4 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 08:11

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Take a tent only if you are going mountaineering. It doesn't sound like that is your plan so I would have to agree with the others that it is not worth the trouble.

#5 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 09:20

• Ignas

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2010

Thanks guys, after reading answers I don't have any doubts anymore.

#6 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 14:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.