Gear and equipment forum

Travel footwear?

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Looking to bring one pair of decent all around shoes like the "Merrell Chameleon" and one pair of sandals(covered) like the teva dozer for my 6 month trip.

Has anyone any suggestions on what make/brands to go for?

I know alot of them are expensive but if they are something thats comfortable and lasts for the 6 months then I'm fine with that.

Any help would be great smile.gif

#1 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 08:06

• Advertisement

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

I don't know about the shoes, but sandals/flip flops are so cheap in Asia.
    I spent 25 pounds on some Tevas in the UK, and could have bought the same in Thailand (or a good copy) for only 5 - 10 pounds.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 18:46

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

My cheap sandals didn't last three weeks on the rough as guts footpaths of South East Asia. Buy quality when it comes to footwear.

#3 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 20:39

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

Mine have lasted a lot longer though, and they're so cheap, you can just buy another pair when/if they break/wear out.

But 5acrefarmer has a point, best to buy quality, they do in general last longer and/or have a warranty.

#4 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 21:57

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hey Chico,

When I went to SEA I bought a pair of trekking shoes and shipped them home after 3 weeks. The reason is they were too hot to walk around in most of the time & bulky to carry around. I only held onto some rubber flip flops bought in BKK and a pair of lightweight Converses. The latter were good for day-to-day travel, occasional nights out & short-term treks. They did fall apart after 3 months but they were infinitely cheaper & comfier than the big trekking shoes.

Unless you're planning on extensive trekking I'd recommend something very transpiring!

Take care,

FSH

#5 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 23:33

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

A cheap pair of sandals/flip-flops for lounging about and a good pair of hiking shoes that I'll usually clip to the outside of my backpack and use only once and a while - my last trip they worked nice for when I was on the motorbike as I don't want to tear my toenails off. I think you should always have a good pair of hiking shoes with closed toe - but they don't have to be heavy duty.

I have a pair like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/ECCO-Mens-Boulder-Water-Shoe/dp/B002L16VDQ

Water shoes are great because they offer all the tred and protection of a regular hiking shoe but they let a lot of air in, so they stay cool. Comfortable with or without socks as you like - and if you end up hiking along a river gorge they're perfect.

#6 Posted: 19/2/2011 - 11:26

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

A pair of running shoes worked fine for me. I also took along a pair of sandals and flipflops. I wore the running shoes when I was in transit because the sandals and flipflops took up less space in my pack.

Take the hiking shoes only if you plan to hike/trek.

#7 Posted: 19/2/2011 - 13:56

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Besides trekking, I wore the same pair of rubber flip flops for 6 months with no worries. If you have any ankle, knee or back issues go for something with more support.

#8 Posted: 20/2/2011 - 10:27

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

For me, flip flops have been sufficient 90% of the time. They've slipped off a couple times when I really didn't want them to -- ex. on the back of an elephant, on a motorbike, getting onto a train in India -- so now Tevas (strappy velcro ones) are my travel sandals of choice. They're fine for light/medium trekking, too.

#9 Posted: 20/2/2011 - 22:41

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

I went with a pair of these:

http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/20088M/43843/Bracken-Brick/J87833?dimensions=0

They are extremely comfortable and breathable.

I just need to get a pair of sandels and I'm set foot wise.

#10 Posted: 23/2/2011 - 08:33

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

same brand i recommended to my mom for her china trip

#11 Posted: 23/2/2011 - 09:39

• Positivetra-
    vel

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2011

I travel with three pairs of shoes. Two of them are the Merrel Brand one is the: Gardena Thong and the other is the: Siren Sport, the third pair is just a cheap pair of flip flops that I bought while away. These are great for just down to the beach or to wear into public showers etc.
    I find that I can't walk around in those all day because my feet/legs get too sore so that's why I have the other Merrell brand of sandals which have more support.
    I have been away for over a year now and both those shoes are still in pretty good condition. A bit scuffed but otherwise great.

#12 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 00:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.