Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Travel footwear?

Posted by chicoelnino on 25/1/2011 at 08:06

Looking to bring one pair of decent all around shoes like the "Merrell Chameleon" and one pair of sandals(covered) like the teva dozer for my 6 month trip.

Has anyone any suggestions on what make/brands to go for?

I know alot of them are expensive but if they are something thats comfortable and lasts for the 6 months then I'm fine with that.

Any help would be great smile.gif

#1 chicoelnino has been a member since 17/9/2010. Posts: 66
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by bedu on 17/2/2011 at 18:46

I don't know about the shoes, but sandals/flip flops are so cheap in Asia.
I spent 25 pounds on some Tevas in the UK, and could have bought the same in Thailand (or a good copy) for only 5 - 10 pounds.

#2 bedu has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 58

Posted by 5acrefarmer on 18/2/2011 at 20:39

Posted from within Vietnam.

My cheap sandals didn't last three weeks on the rough as guts footpaths of South East Asia. Buy quality when it comes to footwear.

#3 5acrefarmer has been a member since 10/6/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 61
 Website 

Posted by bedu on 18/2/2011 at 21:57

Mine have lasted a lot longer though, and they're so cheap, you can just buy another pair when/if they break/wear out.

But 5acrefarmer has a point, best to buy quality, they do in general last longer and/or have a warranty.

#4 bedu has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 58

Posted by francesstella on 18/2/2011 at 23:33

Hey Chico,

When I went to SEA I bought a pair of trekking shoes and shipped them home after 3 weeks. The reason is they were too hot to walk around in most of the time & bulky to carry around. I only held onto some rubber flip flops bought in BKK and a pair of lightweight Converses. The latter were good for day-to-day travel, occasional nights out & short-term treks. They did fall apart after 3 months but they were infinitely cheaper & comfier than the big trekking shoes.

Unless you're planning on extensive trekking I'd recommend something very transpiring!

Take care,

FSH

#5 francesstella has been a member since 16/2/2009. Location: Italy. Posts: 95

Posted by caseyprich on 19/2/2011 at 11:26

A cheap pair of sandals/flip-flops for lounging about and a good pair of hiking shoes that I'll usually clip to the outside of my backpack and use only once and a while - my last trip they worked nice for when I was on the motorbike as I don't want to tear my toenails off. I think you should always have a good pair of hiking shoes with closed toe - but they don't have to be heavy duty.

I have a pair like this:
http://www.amazon.com/ECCO-Mens-Boulder-Water-Shoe/dp/B002L16VDQ

Water shoes are great because they offer all the tred and protection of a regular hiking shoe but they let a lot of air in, so they stay cool. Comfortable with or without socks as you like - and if you end up hiking along a river gorge they're perfect.

#6 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by goonistik on 19/2/2011 at 13:56

A pair of running shoes worked fine for me. I also took along a pair of sandals and flipflops. I wore the running shoes when I was in transit because the sandals and flipflops took up less space in my pack.

Take the hiking shoes only if you plan to hike/trek.

#7 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by shaydan_01 on 20/2/2011 at 10:27

Besides trekking, I wore the same pair of rubber flip flops for 6 months with no worries. If you have any ankle, knee or back issues go for something with more support.

#8 shaydan_01 has been a member since 16/11/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 80

Posted by idreamofdurian on 20/2/2011 at 22:41 TF writer

For me, flip flops have been sufficient 90% of the time. They've slipped off a couple times when I really didn't want them to -- ex. on the back of an elephant, on a motorbike, getting onto a train in India -- so now Tevas (strappy velcro ones) are my travel sandals of choice. They're fine for light/medium trekking, too.

#9 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by chicoelnino on 23/2/2011 at 08:33

I went with a pair of these:

http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/20088M/43843/Bracken-Brick/J87833?dimensions=0

They are extremely comfortable and breathable.

I just need to get a pair of sandels and I'm set foot wise.

#10 chicoelnino has been a member since 17/9/2010. Posts: 66
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by caseyprich on 23/2/2011 at 09:39

same brand i recommended to my mom for her china trip

#11 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Positivetravel on 10/3/2011 at 00:29

I travel with three pairs of shoes. Two of them are the Merrel Brand one is the: Gardena Thong and the other is the: Siren Sport, the third pair is just a cheap pair of flip flops that I bought while away. These are great for just down to the beach or to wear into public showers etc.
I find that I can't walk around in those all day because my feet/legs get too sore so that's why I have the other Merrell brand of sandals which have more support.
I have been away for over a year now and both those shoes are still in pretty good condition. A bit scuffed but otherwise great.

#12 Positivetravel has been a member since 8/3/2011. Posts: 17

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.