Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Closed toed shoes any(one/more)

Posted by caseyprich on 21/2/2011 at 09:06

As an addition to 'travel footwear?' what is the word on closed toed shoes for temples. At this point I've seen countless folks wearing flip-flops (thongs) and sandals at temples throughout Thailand and Laos.

Do the locals not care anymore or are tourists just being insensitive and they're letting it go because of consideration for our ignorance? It seems covered shoulders and long pants are still necessary (especially at important sites in BKK). I'm just curious.

#1 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by wanderingcat on 21/2/2011 at 10:41

never heard of any requirement for closed toed shoes for temples.
palaces in Thailand & Wat Phra Kaew are strict about footwear but they do not insist on closed toed shoes - they just want footwear that has at least a strap around the heel (i.e. not flip flops), & so open toed sandals like Teva sandals are acceptable.

have been going to temples in Thailand since i was 6 y/o & have never worn closed toed shoes there, even when attending ceremonies.

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 21/2/2011 at 14:15

I don't know - I only wear closed toe footwear, visiting temples or otherwise.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by caseyprich on 25/2/2011 at 22:54

MADMAC - Just watched The Fighter. I think you'd like it. let me know what you think.

On the footwear - I must be mistaken. Often times I will hear something and then generalize it in my mind - so when I heard strapped heel, I must have visualized a full shoe . . . I still see a lot of flip-flops.

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by wanderingcat on 26/2/2011 at 12:57

apart from Wat Phra Kaew in BKK, i go to all other temples in Thailand, Laos, Malaysia & Singapore wearing flipflops...just like what the monks, nuns, temple staff & many local laypeople wear.

#5 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.