Closed toed shoes any(one/more)

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

As an addition to 'travel footwear?' what is the word on closed toed shoes for temples. At this point I've seen countless folks wearing flip-flops (thongs) and sandals at temples throughout Thailand and Laos.

Do the locals not care anymore or are tourists just being insensitive and they're letting it go because of consideration for our ignorance? It seems covered shoulders and long pants are still necessary (especially at important sites in BKK). I'm just curious.

#1 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 09:06

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

never heard of any requirement for closed toed shoes for temples.
    palaces in Thailand & Wat Phra Kaew are strict about footwear but they do not insist on closed toed shoes - they just want footwear that has at least a strap around the heel (i.e. not flip flops), & so open toed sandals like Teva sandals are acceptable.

have been going to temples in Thailand since i was 6 y/o & have never worn closed toed shoes there, even when attending ceremonies.

#2 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 10:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I don't know - I only wear closed toe footwear, visiting temples or otherwise.

#3 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 14:15

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

MADMAC - Just watched The Fighter. I think you'd like it. let me know what you think.

On the footwear - I must be mistaken. Often times I will hear something and then generalize it in my mind - so when I heard strapped heel, I must have visualized a full shoe . . . I still see a lot of flip-flops.

#4 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 22:54

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

apart from Wat Phra Kaew in BKK, i go to all other temples in Thailand, Laos, Malaysia & Singapore wearing flipflops...just like what the monks, nuns, temple staff & many local laypeople wear.

#5 Posted: 26/2/2011 - 12:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.