Advice on Back Pack choices

• ryanm24

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2011
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 27

Hello,

I am leaving May 22 for a 4-6 month trip to SE Asia(hopefully longer if I can stretch my budget) and I am having a lot of trouble deciding on what type of pack I should get.

Here are a couple I have been looking at:

http://www.rei.com/product/803310/osprey-farpoint-55-travel-pack

http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_luggage/adventure_travel_packs/Adero-55L-10078/

I don't have a set itinerary yet and am pretty much going to travel wherever the wind blows me lol. Also, I know I am going around the wet season so any advice on places to avoid or extra precautions to take would be awesome.Any advice period would be great.

Thanks for all your help.

#1 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 12:13

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Take a look here.
    http://www.travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm

Personally I prefer to travel light so 35 liters to 45 liters is enough for me. Other people like to bring a big backpack in case they need the space.

#2 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 14:34

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

I'm going to S.E Asia for 5 weeks and I've just ordered this bag: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extra-Large-Litres-Travel-Backpack/dp/B004URVKJO/ref=sr_1_310?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1303162520&sr=1-310#productPromotions

I read the what to pack info before buying it, but I couldn't understand how people could survive for so long taking so few things! Having the extra space means you can take a few more clothes and shoes so if you don't have time to wash them for a few days you still have clean ones that don't stink of sweat or wet and dirty from the rain.

Also by the time you pack your suncream, shampoo, mosquito repellent, towel, a few sets of clothes, 2 pairs of shoes you're gonna be pretty full. I think 90l might be a bit big but in my mind having the spare space is worth it (especially for the bargain price of £25 including postage). Just because you have a bigger bag it doesn't mean you need to fill it, but you're better off having the extra space in case you need it rather than getting there and realising you want to buy loads of things to bring home but you don't have the space... But like goonistik says everyone has their own preferences so you just need to work out what you're going to need for a 6 month trip (I would imagine you might need more than 4 shirts and 2 pairs of trousers that are recommended) and just go from there.

Hope this helps.

#3 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 23:48

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I have to agree that 4 shirts is not enough because that means having to launder every 2-3 days. You need to take enough clothing for about a week. Even for a trip lasting several months, you will pack enough clothing for about 6-8 days.

Keep shoes to the minimum. Flipflops, sandals, and running shoes were enough for me. So you have to decide what you need.

Sunscreen, insect repellent, and many toiletries can be bought at your destination. You can't take a lot of fluids with you on the plane.

#4 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 08:14

• danielleand-
    mike

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

hey, i had the same problem everyone sayin to just take a few clothes...however i am not a light traveller even when just goin for a 2week holiday. im going travelling in two weeks for 3 months and have decided to get a 60+15 (75litres total) lowe alpine tfx backpack. it was £88 from campfour.co.uk.
    Im taking wot i think ill wear only, i travelled america last year but took a suit case and was a nightmare. i was packing clothes that i hadnt worn for years thinking "just in case". im not doing that this year. either way if it is too heavy its not like im trekking mount everest im only goin to be carrying it on an off transport for an hour or so.
    Have a fab time xx

#5 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 08:34

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

@danielleandmike- My bag was the same size as yours in SE Asia last year. I wouldn't say it's too big, but its the weight that you have to be careful with, especially if you're a girl! You definitely won't be carrying it most of the time...but there will be days where you've got to walk around looking for accomodation etc and from my experience you can't underestimate carrying even 10-13kg of clothes, shoes etc on your back in 30 degree humid, hot weather! At that weight mine was too heavy last year, and when walking to the train station one early morning I distinctly remember (my boyfriend won't let me forget!) having a hot/diva/tantrum momemt where I threw my backpack on the floor and said I wanted to go home! *shame*

So obviously bring enough clothes that you look and feel nice, but when it comes to duplicates just consider if you need them- you don't wash shorts as much as tops (well, i don't...) so while you might bring 7+ tops you might only need 1-2 pairs of shorts. And one good tip is to NOT bring all the toiletries and medicines that you think you might possibly need... you can buy everything out there as and when you need it so it doesn't really make sense to lug every painkiller and antihistamine known to man around...in 50 packs...no matter what your mum says...

It's just a good idea to try and make the backpacks as small a burden as possible- for the whole 3 months we were away my boyfriend ended up carrying his pack on his back, and mine in his arms because I just couldn't cut it in the heat, and this year when we go back to Thailand we're abandoning the packs altogether for one medium sized wheelie suitcase between us!

#6 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 15:43

• ryanm24

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2011
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 27

Thanks for all the great advice. I am glad I found travelfish before I left. lol

#7 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 20:26

• danielleand-
    mike

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

rledez1990..hahaha hilarious i can see me doing the same thing haha! im going to start packing this week so will keep everything in mind.
    Thanks

#8 Posted: 6/5/2011 - 07:24

• ryanm24

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2011
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 27

Just wanted to drop an update and let you guys know I got the;

I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

#9 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 12:01

• ryanm24

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2011
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 27

Just wanted to drop an update and let you guys know I got the;

I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

#10 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 12:02

• Advertisement

• le1979

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2011

@rledez1990 hahaha I had a similar strop when I went to Glastonbury a few years ago.... who knew that too much vodka can break your back?!!
    I'm taking a 55l backpack that I've had for a while. Don't want to take too much but concerned as you NEVER know when you may need those inappropriate high heels. MAybe I'll take 4 pairs just in case...... ;)

#11 Posted: 2/7/2011 - 13:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

rledez
    You have a boyfriend and you carry your own stuff? My wife makes me carrry hers, mine, mine daughters (my daughter has a small pack and carries her own toys and lately her own clothes). My wife takes at least 20 pounds of crap on a short trip and I'm carrying it. You need to teach your boyfriend that the utility of having one is for him to buy you stuff and carry the stuff you buy.

#12 Posted: 2/7/2011 - 18:00

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Don't worry, he's a very good boyfriend/packhorse haha! We're currently in Phuket during out second trip to Thailand, and the most I've had to carry is shopping bag 1 of 4, usually the weight of a pair of sunglasses! When we travel he carries the 27kg suitcase and whichever of the daypacks is heavier (mine usually has sweets and other snacks in it haha!) So i guess the point to be discussed is not 'which backpack should i take' but rather 'who will carry my backpack?'

#13 Posted: 2/7/2011 - 18:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Of course, there must be some sort of quid pro quo... Something my wife is loathe to acknowledge. I never thought I'd grow up to be a pack mule, but there you have it.

#14 Posted: 3/7/2011 - 00:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Deuter 38 Litre Back Pack ... By Geezy on 1 Feb 2010 4 4265 18 May 2010
38 year old female wants to back pack Thailand in Mar 2013 but has no idea where to start ... By Sazzle74 on 13 Aug 2012 1 1579 15 Aug 2012