Gear and equipment forum

Hiking Boots

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hiking Boots in SE Asia. I know that these are not generally recommend, however, It seems like I might need them. I have intentions of going to Nepal eventually and would need to buy some more gear (warmer stuff probably), I also want to go up a few Chinese mountains, as well as Borneo I would like to walk up MT. Kinabalu.

However, I am debating whether I should buy them before I go or when I'm there (in KL, for example). It is likely I could make do with TEVA's for the first 2 or maybe 3 months anyway, apart from MT. Kinabalu which would be in the first week.

Any other warmer clothing I would just buy out there but it just seems like your boots will be invaluable for any trekking. I would also add I wouldn't be doing anything to crazy, I am in good physical shape but I would look at Treks/Walks suitable for a beginner/intermediate when in Asia.

Any input appreciated.

#1 Posted: 5/7/2011 - 19:59

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

US Army jungle boots. They were made for SEA. They breath. They dry quickly. Perfect boot for this climate.

#2 Posted: 5/7/2011 - 21:02

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

...bet they're not to lightweight though?

#3 Posted: 5/7/2011 - 23:22

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I took a pair of Merrell Vibram (shoes) and they were perfect: because they're shoes rather than boots they don't take up too much space; they are lightweight; they provide support and enough grip; and they dry quickly. They got me comfortably up Mt Kinabalu and up / along Tiger Leaping Gorge - so similar level to the type of walking you're planning. We needed warm clothes for Mt Kinabalu (don't underestimate how freezing it is up there!) so bought cheap stuff in KK and hired jackets.

#4 Posted: 6/7/2011 - 09:16

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Christay,

A pair of lo-cut hiking shoes will be fine, preferably waterproof. I am assuming that you are hiking through established trails and that you will only be carrying a daypack. Ankle boots are ok if you prefer them to lo-cut shoes. I am also assuming that you won't face winter weather conditions in Nepal and the mountains of China.

Jungle boots, IMHO, are overkill. They will weigh more and they are bulky.

#5 Posted: 6/7/2011 - 09:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Christay - they're definitely lightweight. They have a porous canvass legging and a fairly thin rubber soul. Like I said, they were specifically made for hiking in this environment. A great boot, I use the desert version now when I work construction here.

#6 Posted: 6/7/2011 - 10:40

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

"They got me comfortably up Mt Kinabalu and up / along Tiger Leaping Gorge - so similar level to the type of walking you're planning. "

Travellingsarah - This is good to hear as it is what I plan on doing at some point! I have heard about how cold it is at the top! I will already have a light weight fleece, shell and probably a merino wool top so hopefully I would be ok. I will probably try to find a wooly hat in KK!

Goonistik - I currently have a pair of north face walking trainers but they aren't waterproof. Having a look online, very briefly, I might just upgrade to a pair of walking trainers that are goretex/waterproof. The ones I have currently are rain proof but only to an extent (they have mesh), also, I've been using them as running trainers so they are looking a bit tired. I will avoid winter conditions as I don't think I really see the fun in hiking around when it's freezing. I wouldn't be opposed to it being "a bit cold" though.

I guess If I ended up trekking in Nepal I would be carrying more than a day pack, right? I have a 65lt pack at the moment and plan on buying a 30lt day pack. I was hoping the 30lt would be more than adequate for going up Kinabalu and doing other short treks (so I can leave my big one in the guesthouse etc).

I think it might be best to stick to the good walking shoes as you say. If I get to Nepal it will probably be last/before I go home so I can always get some boots for that. Let me know what you think :)

Mac - I will drop by Muk and take a look!

#7 Posted: 6/7/2011 - 15:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Anytime Chris, anytime.

#8 Posted: 6/7/2011 - 16:04

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Mac, message me your email and I'll let you know when I pass through/near Muk?!

#9 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 19:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Chris,
    Just email me at:
    MADMAC572@yahoo.com

#10 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 19:46

• Advertisement

• kegarnay

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2011

Hi there,
    I recommend these:
    http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com/2008/12/adidas-kampung-the-ultimate-tropical-jungle-shoe/

The Malay trekkers swear by them, and they are cheap as chips from markets in Kuala Lumpur. They wont do for the himalaya but hey they are so cheap it doesn't matter. You can pick up a pair for the equivalent of 2 british pounds. Also recommended in Lonely Planet. Have a good one.

Mike.

#11 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 20:15

• levemarkin

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2012

One of my friend said, While we are plan to go for hiking adventures, We must use the hiking boots otherwise we face a problem with our feet. When we use the hiking boots, It will take good care of our feet by wearing the pair which is appropriate for us. Consider several factors such as intended use and comfort before purchasing one. Wear the right Hiking Boots so we can experience the joys that Hiking can offer instead of feeling so much pain because of using the wrong kind of boots. Please produce some more attachments about the topic to view detail information.

trekking in nepal
    everest base camp

#12 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 06:21

• kelvinsmar

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2012

According to my view, One of my cousin said about the safety measures while traveling in long distance areas and Hiking boots such as constructed to provide comfort for miles of walking over rough terrains and protect the hiker's feet against water, mud, rocks and other wilderness obstacles.

adventure trekking in nepal
    nepal adventure trekking

#13 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 01:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hiking boots or Sandals? ... By jack2408 on 15 Feb 2010 4 3639 18 Feb 2010
Buying hiking boots in Bangkok / Chiang Mai... ... By misterwoods on 17 Jun 2009 8 6901 21 Jun 2009
Light weight hiking boots vs trail runner? ... By mthawkins on 3 Apr 2014 1 660 3 Apr 2014
Hiking Boots for Sale in Luang Prabang or surrounds ... By pops786 on 26 Jul 2008 0 1728 26 Jul 2008