Gear and equipment forum

Gear List for 7 Continent RWT

• Lostbeachbum

Click here to learn more about Lostbeachbum
    Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2011
    Location United States

I'm leaving next month on a 7 continent RWT and figured I would share my packing list to show how light you can travel. Keep in mind I'll be riding a motorcycle much of the time.

Clothing:
    5 pair of underwear
    3 pairs socks
    2 pairs of cargo shorts
    1 Pair Basketball Shorts (doubles as bathing suit)
    1 Pair Mesh Armored riding pants
    4-5 T-shirts
    1 Long Sleeve Shirt
    1 Short Sleeve Button up shirt
    Poncho
    1 Pair walking/riding shoes
    1 pair Sandals
    Hat
    Bandana
    Belt
    Riding gloves
    Shower Flip Flops
    Sunglasses (Riding and daily)

Papers:
    Passport
    Visas
    Passport Photos (24)
    Drivers License
    International drivers permit
    Copies of Passport
    Copies of License
    Emergency phone numbers (credit cards, bank, embassies, insurance)
    Travel Insurance
    Proof of funds
    Vaccine Certificates
    Onward travel proof
    Rough itinerary/List of must sees
    Map/s

Misc:
    Ospey Atmos 35 (38L)
    2 Compression bags
    Small Ultra-Sil dry bag
    15L hemp Day Pack
    Headlamp + Extra batteries
    Towel
    Silk Liner
    Mosquito Net
    Visa Bank Card
    MC Bank Card
    Visa Credit Card
    MC Credit Card
    Cash
    Bug spray
    Playing Cards
    Sunblock
    Small notebook
    String 20’
    Super glue
    latex gloves
    Scissors
    50’ Duck tape (wrapped around pencil)
    Small hooks
    Pen/Pencil
    Zip Lock Bags
    Compass
    Ear plugs (2 pairs)
    Knife
    Multi Tool
    Book
    1 Pad lock
    2 Small TSA locks
    Motorcycle Helmet

First Aid:
    Bandages (3 different sizes)
    Gauze (3 different sizes)
    Med Tape
    Alcohol wipes
    Blister/burn cream
    Antibiotic ointment
    Antiseptic wipes
    Anti-diarrhea
    Eye drops
    Pain killers
    Ibuprofen
    Imodium
    Malarone (12 pills)
    Tweezers
    Safety pins
    Heart Burn meds
    Prescriptions

Electronics:
    Iphone4 + Charger
    Unlocked GSM cell + Charger
    Compaq Digital camera + Charger (Nikon Coolpix)
    Garmin GPS
    AA Battery Charger + Rechargeable batteries
    2- 8GB SD cards
    Mirco SD USB card reader
    USB stick
    Earbuds
    Linux Live CD
    Multi Plug adapter

Toiletries:
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Deodorant
    Q-Tips
    Cologne (3oz)
    Powder
    Wipes
    TP
    Condoms
    Trimmer + Charger
    Shampoo/Conditioner Combo
    Soap

When everything is packed, my bag is about 2/3 full and just under
    14lbs without the helmet. I'll buy my wet weather gear in Thailand. The first half of my trip is strickly tropical climate so I'll buy some cold weather gear in OZ for the second half, Europe-Africa-South America-Antarctica. I feel like I travel pretty light and I've used this same basic list for several months each in the US, Mexico, Canada the Caribbean. I was traveling lighter than 95% of the people I met, I hope this inspires some people to dump those 60-70L packs for something more practical. Safe travels!

John

#1 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 08:36

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's a great list.

One thing I'd add that would take up no space at all (that I keep getting caught out by) is a single paperclip -- for opening the simcard thingy on the iPhone4!

#2 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 06:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Crikey - that looks like a lot of stuff (but maybe cuz it's just a long list). Not sure if you are looking for feedback, but here it is anyhow (maybe useful to others): :-)

- Scan all the documents included in your Papers section and email them to yourself so that you can access it online if necessary.

- Laminate a copy of your passport (photo page only) and use this to hand to people when ID, etc is needed. This will be accepted in a majority of cases and keeps your real passport safely tucked away. In Vietnam, they always asked to keep the pasport over night. Over a month, I managed to get away with the laminated copy everytime except once. I always try this when renting vehicles too , but they're too smart for that one. Doesn't stop me from trying though.

- Don't overdo it on the first aid kit. You can usually buy the basics along the way. (Heart burn meds - really?!) One thing to consider is getting some injection needles - if you need antibiotic or something in a fairly remote or dubious place, you might like to provide your own.

- There's a few other things that I question: Compass (plus GPS?), Extra batteries (buy them!), trimmer and charger (pay for a local cut!)

- Cut down on the Tshirts - you will mostly likely want to buy some as souvenirs as you go anyhow.

- Soap is messy once it's wet, and I found it is often provided in the places that I stayed. However, I did keep a small bottle of shower gel in my toiletry bag, just in case. (My upcoming trip I'm foregoing the showergel and will just use either my face cleanser gel stuff or shampoo as soap.

- Since you are starting off in SEA (hot), consider leaving socks and long sleeve shirt behind (unless you think they might be useful for trekking).

- Glad you see you are taking TWO ATM and Credit cards. Just make sure you store them separately. I was glad I did this when I lost my wallet at the start of my trip.

- And here's an idea to ADD to the pack. I go to our local $2 shop and buy up a bunch of NZ souvenir pens (nice-ish ones, not just a Bic). They are reasonably light to carry, and make nice little gifts for special people that you meet along the way.

#3 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 07:09

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'd dump the eau de cologne and hair trimmer and add a mask and snorkel myself.

#4 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 23:43

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

And a hammock

#5 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 23:45

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

And a few clothes pegs

Hmm. Too much stuff....dump the soap too like Lizzy suggests. Shampoo washes most things and you can buy that anywhere.

#6 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 23:55

• Lostbeachbum

Click here to learn more about Lostbeachbum
    Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2011
    Location United States

Thanks for the replies everyone, I am always willing to accept and apply feedback. I really just wanted to show people a detailed list of how you can travel light. I'm not a minimalist by any means and like having my small luxuries but also like having a bag that can carry on a bus and plane.

Let me explain a few of my choices.

Heartburn meds- Yes, Unfortunately I need them daily as well as narcotic pain killers. I've gained 30 lbs over the last 2 years due to an injury. The heartburn is BAD, I've been scoped and tested and everything appears normal. Once I get back on the road and start shedding lbs again, hopefully it will slowly dissipate. One reason it's still so bad is because I don't censor what I eat. This trip is largely about culinary exploration so heart burn or not, I'm trying it all!

First Aid- The whole kit is light and compact, about 1LB. Carrying it all is mostly from force of habit after so much riding and most of the things listed being used. I plan on riding in remote areas most of the time, so if I go down I want to have everything (hopefully) I need right there.

Trimmer- The whole kit weighs 7oz. I use it mostly for my beard. Holds a charge for weeks and no need to have hot water and gel/soap. It's hard for me to shave with a razor because my hair is so course. My father is the same way, he says it comes from years of hard work outside... It also saves money on hair cuts. When I do shave, I need hot water, gel and a brand new multi blade (5) razor or my face will be cut up and very sensitive.

Compass- Just a backup to use with a map, it's tiny.

Cloths- I'm taking so many T-shirts, socks, and underwear for several reasons. I wear 2 XL and I've heard they are harder to find in Asia. Frankly, I sweat alot and like to keep fresh without doing laundry every night. I also like a variety of outfits and can't stand people who stink, it's not cool to be a dirty hippie backpacker. Using the compression bag, my cloths pack pretty small.

Soap- When I said soap I meant shower gel, travel size. I usually leave with 1 of everything and pick them up along the way.

Cologne- Goes back to the keeping fresh. I wear Armani Acqua di Gio, it's like fishing with dynamite :-)

Hammock, Mask/Snorkel- It's funny, I have all of these and at first was planning on bringing them. The hammock is heavy and won't get used in SE Asia but would be useful in NZ and OZ where I'll be camping. Plus with the quarantine on camping gear it's not worth trying, it's old. I'll just pick one up there. I'm leaning towards taking the mask/snorkel since they are a perfect fit.

Thanks for the tips about the syringes and cloths pins. I had thought about them but wasn't sure it would be a problem at customs.

I've already scanned and saved all my documents but that's a good tip about laminating a copy of my passport. I never turn my real one over to anyone besides officials.

samtom- Thanks for reminding me about the paper clip. I need to throw 1 or 2 of them in a bag.

Thanks again everyone!

John

#7 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 03:33

• frasmc

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2005
    Total reviews: 3

Be careful of anything made out of hemp, as it is illegal in certain countries just as other forms of Cannabis are.

I also always bring along a roll of hockey/athletic tape, instead of duct tape. It isn't as waterproof but also works for first aid, repairing packs and clothes, and making stuff with (knife sheaths, hidden pockets, wallets, etc).

#8 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 22:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.