Gear and equipment forum

skinny jeans?

• sunnynz1983

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2011

28yo female. i am leaving for SEA next week, should i take a pair of skinny jeans with me or stick to yoga pants and shorts ??

#1 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 08:23

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

What are "skinny jeans"??

#2 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 10:18

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Sunny,

Bring them along if you plan to go to a few parties, and have room in your luggage for the jeans, a nice top or two, accessories, and a shoes or sandals.

Otherwise, I don't see the need for them.

#3 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 10:57

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I prefer girls in skirts & dresses... jeans - ugh - too hot, too heavy, too long to dry - shorts are ok, captri 3/4 pants are are a good overall option.

#4 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 11:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

SEA covers a lot of ground, so it would help if you were a touch more specific here.

I don't wear shorts, three quarter anything nor sandals. I don't like Mosquito bites so I don't give them access. It's not that hot here anyway, especially now with the cool season coming on. I wear jeans all the time, and have for the four years I've lived here.

But I still don't know what "skinny jeans" are.

#5 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 21:13

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

MADMAC - lol, "skinny jeans" are tight fitted jeans that generally only look good on skinny people in my opinion! Think leggings but made of denim. In my younger days we called them drain pipe jeans.

Back to the OP - as has been said, it does depend a little on where you are and what you're doing. They may not be practical for all activities eg exploring temples in the heat of the day but personally I wear jeans (although the non skinny type for me!) a fair bit in SE Asia. Admittedly I tend to wear them more when I'm in stay put mode or cities than on the road but even then it's nice have them for evenings sometimes. After all you can't live in tie dye trousers and fishermans pants the whole time! ;-)

#6 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 22:24

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 197

PS "I prefer girls in skirts & dresses..."
    Mmmm, women should wear what they feel comfortable in (combined with being culturally sensitive to the areas they are travelling in) rather than what blokes prefer to look at!

#7 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 22:32

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

That's why I said "captri 3/4 pants are are a good overall option' - because girls look really hot in them too - lol - besides a skirt can look very cute over a pair of leggings while still respecting the culture and being comfortable from the gaze of evil farangs.

I never bring jeans with me when I travel, bring light materials that dry quickly, wear layers if need be.

#8 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 22:45

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Places visited:
    At least 57

NO-ONE, male or female, should EVER wear skinny jeans. They are an abomination.

#9 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 21:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.