Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

skinny jeans?

Posted by sunnynz1983 on 30/10/2011 at 08:23

28yo female. i am leaving for SEA next week, should i take a pair of skinny jeans with me or stick to yoga pants and shorts ??

#1 sunnynz1983 has been a member since 7/8/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 30/10/2011 at 10:18

What are "skinny jeans"??

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by goonistik on 30/10/2011 at 10:57

Sunny,

Bring them along if you plan to go to a few parties, and have room in your luggage for the jeans, a nice top or two, accessories, and a shoes or sandals.

Otherwise, I don't see the need for them.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by altmtl on 30/10/2011 at 11:55

I prefer girls in skirts & dresses... jeans - ugh - too hot, too heavy, too long to dry - shorts are ok, captri 3/4 pants are are a good overall option.

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by MADMAC on 30/10/2011 at 21:13

SEA covers a lot of ground, so it would help if you were a touch more specific here.

I don't wear shorts, three quarter anything nor sandals. I don't like Mosquito bites so I don't give them access. It's not that hot here anyway, especially now with the cool season coming on. I wear jeans all the time, and have for the four years I've lived here.

But I still don't know what "skinny jeans" are.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by KirstyB on 30/10/2011 at 22:24

MADMAC - lol, "skinny jeans" are tight fitted jeans that generally only look good on skinny people in my opinion! Think leggings but made of denim. In my younger days we called them drain pipe jeans.

Back to the OP - as has been said, it does depend a little on where you are and what you're doing. They may not be practical for all activities eg exploring temples in the heat of the day but personally I wear jeans (although the non skinny type for me!) a fair bit in SE Asia. Admittedly I tend to wear them more when I'm in stay put mode or cities than on the road but even then it's nice have them for evenings sometimes. After all you can't live in tie dye trousers and fishermans pants the whole time! ;-)

#6 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by KirstyB on 30/10/2011 at 22:32

PS "I prefer girls in skirts & dresses..."
Mmmm, women should wear what they feel comfortable in (combined with being culturally sensitive to the areas they are travelling in) rather than what blokes prefer to look at!

#7 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by altmtl on 30/10/2011 at 22:45

That's why I said "captri 3/4 pants are are a good overall option' - because girls look really hot in them too - lol - besides a skirt can look very cute over a pair of leggings while still respecting the culture and being comfortable from the gaze of evil farangs.

I never bring jeans with me when I travel, bring light materials that dry quickly, wear layers if need be.

#8 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by Saphir on 25/11/2012 at 21:33

NO-ONE, male or female, should EVER wear skinny jeans. They are an abomination.

#9 Saphir has been a member since 19/5/2009. Posts: 74
 Where has Saphir been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.