Gear and equipment forum

Taking A guitar or Buying Away

• mrbump

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2011

I've been playing guitar now for 12 years and have since never been more than a couple of weeks without it.
    I have a small acoustic travel guitar which I was thinking of taking for my trip from Hong Kong to Singapore . I guess this would be great somtimes but a pain in the ass at other times.

Anyone have any idea how easy it is to pick up guitars in Asia? Obviously its western instrument but just not sure how easy it would be to find one from another traveller or local shop. It doesn't have to be the best but cant be complete rubbish otherwise there is no point :)
    I am arriving in Hanoi early on in my trip and maybe thats the place to get one?

Otherwise im gonna make up a travel case for my acoustic and bring it along for the journey. Im bound to have some time to kill between travelling and sightseeing.

Any opinions or experiences would be great

#1 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 11:40

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you can play (and it sounds like you can) and you can sing (not sure about that) then in any club in rural Thailand with a live band you will find a guy to let you use his guitar and play some songs. I have seen this several times. One Peace Corp girl was in town here and she played up a storm - she did American Country, not a music genre I am overly fond of, but she was excellent and the audience loved her. So yes, I don't know about bannana pancake areas, but in the rural Thailand you can do it.

As for it being a "western instrument", globalization has well and truly arrived here (thank God), and you can get just about anything here that you can back home. Including guitars which are VERY mainstream instruments here (even more so than older "traditional" instruments).

#2 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 21:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Buying a scooter in thailand/taking it elsewhere ... By littletimmy on 29 Sep 2012 5 4614 30 Sep 2012