Gear and equipment forum

Dry Bags and Gear for 1 Mo.

• alljokingas-
    ide

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Hey all,

Are dry bags easily accessible and cheap (cost-wise, not quality) in Vietnam? I'm considering getting one here, large enough for a camera and/or laptop, and don't know whether or not I should wait 'til I get there to buy one (everything will be ziplocked until then...well, most. The netbook has a DIY water-resistant sleeve) The local prices here look to be around $20-30 for a decent-sized bag. Also, how much are multi-tools there? How do airlines feel about you bringing along a multi-tool? (I'm American, so my default, knee-jerk reaction when it comes to airports is O GOD THEY WILL CONFISCATE IT)

Also, the checklist (am I'm forgetting anything?): 60+10L Deuter (with aluminum removed); a day satchel (will possibly supplement with a 30L bag when I get there); toiletries and toilet paper; some roll-on mosq. repellent (DEET-light, but only thing available), head-lamp (how much are AAA batteries there?); a small lock; 2-3 days worth of clothes; a sarang and swim wear; duct tape; medicine/first-aid pouch (would I need a r(x) for doxycycline?); really worn boots (sandals will be bought there); a book; a netbook; camera; mp3...

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 27/12/2011 - 00:08

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Many multi-tools have knives so they cannot be included in your carry-on baggage but can packed be in the checked-in baggage.
    See "Sharp Objects" in the TSA list.
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#9

Toilet paper? I prefer to pack baby wipes.

#2 Posted: 27/12/2011 - 06:52

• alljokingas-
    ide

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Hey all-

Ok. About dry bags- what sizes have you found fits your netbook well?

I've a 11.6 laptop and I'm considering buying either a 13 L or a 20 L Sea to Summit big river dry bag from a website (I'm not exactly confident that I'll be able to find anything good in Hanoi).

From the advertised measurements, the 13 L will barely fit it due to the width (I think the netbook+"case"'s 2 cm shy of the dry bag width.) I'm also planning on doubling it with a camera and possibly adding a layer of protection (ie cloth), incase of impact. Since the 20L is only $5 more, I'd like to go with that, I'm concerned about it's size (it seems too big, length wise). I've scoured the net, but no one really seems to talk about the size of their dry bags and I've only a rough idea of their size.

Thanks!

#3 Posted: 29/12/2011 - 22:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.