Gear and equipment forum

How cold is N Thailand?

• Whispy

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

I am leaving this week for a month long trip through Thailand. I am using a 35L bag only so space is an issue, especially since I want to leave it partially empty for shopping. We will be starting in Bangkok and going to Chang Mai and I am worried about how cold it gets this time of year in the North. I have planned to pack a small(ish) zip-up hoodie to keep me warm. Is this really necessary?

#1 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 21:01

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

"cold" in this region is usually in low 20's C and it doesn't happen very often. You will survive. Unless you want to go really high up in the mountains it won't be really cold. It's just relative: if you're used to 30+ C then a change to 22 C is certainly cold. A few thin layers on top of each other will do the trick. Good to have a long sleeved t-shirt anyway against mosquitos.

Coldest areas you will probably find the buses and airplanes, so it's good to have something extra to cover yourself because those drivers like to turn those things into moving fridges.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 21:19

• Armando696

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2009
    Location Switzerland
    Total reviews: 7

Some places in Northern Thailand, e.g. up in the hills near Chiang Rai, can get really chilly. I was in a mountain village, about 900 m, where there was frost in the morning, but not a problem, big blankets in the guest house and during the day about 25 degrees. If you need additional clothing, you can buy it cheaply.

#3 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 15:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.