Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Sleeping Bag or Sleeping Bag Liner?

Posted by Criggy on 27/2/2012 at 10:18

Hi,
I'll be travelling around SEA for 9 weeks starting from March 15th.
Starting in Hanoi, i'll travel down through Vietnam over 4-5 weeks, then head into Cambodia, Laos and Northern Thailand.
Will I be OK just taking a sleeping bag liner? I also have a 1-2 season, small, lightweight sleeping bag, but i'm not sure whether i'll need it?
I'll be in budget hostels/guesthouses/homestays etc rather than hotels. Not planning on doing any camping.
Thanks for any advice!
-Chris

#1 Criggy has been a member since 21/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by busylizzy on 27/2/2012 at 12:56

You definitely won't need a sleeping bag. I always carry a sleeping bag liner as many accom, whilst providing a bottom sheet, don't always provide a top sheet - and I like something over the top of me. (Helps to keep off rogue insects, too!)

In the cooler places you will find that accom places will provide a warmer blanket, but I think for the time of year that you are going, you won't need that anyhow.

If you get a sleeping bag liner, get a silk one. The cotton ones are a bit heavier, and polyester-type ones won't breathe as well as natural silk. I've had my for 20 years now and it's still in great condition, so you'll definitely get your money's worth.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Criggy on 27/2/2012 at 14:30

Thanks busylizzy!
As I began to do more research through the forums and articles i'd realised I was asking a pretty silly question, and that taking a sleeping bag would be pointless...
I think the liner I have right now is cotton, treated for anti malaria/bedbug so I'll take that one with me... Pre-departure expenses are already getting out of control, so I think i'll hold off on buying a silk one for now (maybe i'll get one in Hanoi?!)

#3 Criggy has been a member since 21/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by busylizzy on 27/2/2012 at 16:39

If you've already got a cotton one, then stick with that.

Yes, you can get them in Hanoi. I remember seeing them all over the place. I can't recall the price, but I do recall that they were significantly cheaper than at home.

BTW.. I think it's just your wording, but you do realise that you can't treat your bags for 'anti-malaria', right? You can have them treated with permethrin which will help keep creepy crawlies at bay, including mosquitoes, but it's not 'anti-malaria'. Regardless, I don't believe it's necessary to treat them. I did treat mine on one trip although it kind of bugged me (pun intended!) that I was lying all night in a bed of chemicals. I haven't done it since. And I honestly don't think it achieves much more than an untreated liner if you keep a fan blowing on you at night (mozzies avoid air movement).

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.