Gear and equipment forum

Sleeping Bag or Sleeping Bag Liner?

• Criggy

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

Hi,
    I'll be travelling around SEA for 9 weeks starting from March 15th.
    Starting in Hanoi, i'll travel down through Vietnam over 4-5 weeks, then head into Cambodia, Laos and Northern Thailand.
    Will I be OK just taking a sleeping bag liner? I also have a 1-2 season, small, lightweight sleeping bag, but i'm not sure whether i'll need it?
    I'll be in budget hostels/guesthouses/homestays etc rather than hotels. Not planning on doing any camping.
    Thanks for any advice!
    -Chris

#1 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 10:18

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You definitely won't need a sleeping bag. I always carry a sleeping bag liner as many accom, whilst providing a bottom sheet, don't always provide a top sheet - and I like something over the top of me. (Helps to keep off rogue insects, too!)

In the cooler places you will find that accom places will provide a warmer blanket, but I think for the time of year that you are going, you won't need that anyhow.

If you get a sleeping bag liner, get a silk one. The cotton ones are a bit heavier, and polyester-type ones won't breathe as well as natural silk. I've had my for 20 years now and it's still in great condition, so you'll definitely get your money's worth.

#2 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 12:56

• Criggy

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

Thanks busylizzy!
    As I began to do more research through the forums and articles i'd realised I was asking a pretty silly question, and that taking a sleeping bag would be pointless...
    I think the liner I have right now is cotton, treated for anti malaria/bedbug so I'll take that one with me... Pre-departure expenses are already getting out of control, so I think i'll hold off on buying a silk one for now (maybe i'll get one in Hanoi?!)

#3 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 14:30

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you've already got a cotton one, then stick with that.

Yes, you can get them in Hanoi. I remember seeing them all over the place. I can't recall the price, but I do recall that they were significantly cheaper than at home.

BTW.. I think it's just your wording, but you do realise that you can't treat your bags for 'anti-malaria', right? You can have them treated with permethrin which will help keep creepy crawlies at bay, including mosquitoes, but it's not 'anti-malaria'. Regardless, I don't believe it's necessary to treat them. I did treat mine on one trip although it kind of bugged me (pun intended!) that I was lying all night in a bed of chemicals. I haven't done it since. And I honestly don't think it achieves much more than an untreated liner if you keep a fan blowing on you at night (mozzies avoid air movement).

#4 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 16:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Silk sleeping bag liner (Jag Bag) in Kuala Lumpur ... By rashers on 25 Jan 2013 4 2850 26 Jan 2013
Sleeping bag or not ... By Nienke on 9 Mar 2012 5 3739 12 Nov 2012
Do I really not need a sleeping bag? ... By rooney on 3 Jan 2009 10 7987 1 Feb 2013
Sleeping in HCMC ... By EmBees on 21 Dec 2008 4 1690 9 Feb 2009
Sleeping sheets ... By KRStamm on 10 Sep 2007 3 1617 11 Sep 2007
5 star express sleeping ... By SophieRoberts on 13 May 2008 5 4745 22 May 2008
sleeping bangkok airport ... By bekkie on 30 Apr 2012 10 2129 2 May 2012
Kalaw - Sleeping and trekking ... By jakbdm on 13 Jun 2010 3 6379 6 Aug 2011
Sleeping on Cat Ba Island, Quang Duc Family Hotel ... By Pjotra on 30 Nov 2011 0 2048 30 Nov 2011
Are there sleeping accomodations around Van Phong Bay? Vietnam Coast ... By losligato on 16 Jan 2007 0 1396 16 Jan 2007