Gear and equipment forum

Sleeping bag or not

• Nienke

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012

Hi,

Me and my husband are going to travel to Asia, Australia and New Zealand for a minimum of 18 months and we are wondering if we should take our sleeping bags with us. We have lightweighted down filled mummy ones already, but when we take them with us we will need bigger backpacks then the 45 litres we have now. We are traveling to colder countries such as Nepal and China, so we really need some help from other travellers who been to these countries if we should take the sleeping bags with us or not.

Thanks so much,
    Nienke

#1 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 05:28

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You are not going to need them in most SEA countries (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc) - a silk sleeping bag liner will be sufficient. Not sure about the story in Nepal but I would suspect that you could still use the liner and most accom would provide warmer blankets, etc. (I know that was the case in the cooler areas of Laos).

You will appreciate having them in NZ and Aust - even in southern months! One suggestion (assuming that you are going to Asia first) is that you leave them with someone at home to post to you at the time you are due to arrive in NZ/Aust (or Nepal/China, if necessary). Or look at buying some when you get here.

In terms of the carrying them in your packs, one option is to use compression straps to tie them to the outside of your packs (eg on top or bottom) as I have seen some people do.

#2 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 18:50

• tkgurnick

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2012
    Location New Zealand

hi
    i know for back home(NZ) you will need a little more than just a sleeping back if you tend to stay a while.. this is the best for your travels.. some BUSH SHIRTS/SINGLETS, they are of a different design to thermals and only get them there.. you can get them anywhere.. they will tell you which one's.. and a (SWANNDRI) the original hooded bush shirt.. they were the first of its kind.. designed for farm, ranch, working, hunting, fishing, equestrian, tramping/hiking.. you can pretty much sleep in them without a blanket.. they're about 200 dollars.. but if you want cheaper, around mid july the biggest field days is held every year.. everything is farming plus anything else you can find to your liking and it goes for 7 days.. it's based on the outskirts of HAMILTON and has everything you need for your hiking trips.. wait the last 2 days, everything will drop in prices to 75% and you pick your sleeping bags up for around 40 dollars brand new.. and swanndri's for like 60-70 dollars.. look up new zealand field days- hamilton, mistery creek.. and it will give you the location if you are in the neigbourhood at the time.. other wise any of your local clothes stores will do just fine.. hope this helps too..

good luck..

#3 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 04:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hmmm...not sure that a swandri is something that many tourists to NZ would be interested in. Yes, they're warm. But they are heavy - and scratchy! Sleeping in them - really?? However NZ is also the home of Icebreaker merino clothing - it's also pricey by NZ standards, but you can visit an outlet store when the sales are on and get stuff for half price. Bring your USD and Euro's and it'll be much cheaper for you guys!

Having said all of that - Fields Days (an annual agricultural show, possibly the country's biggest) is worth a visit if you want to see another side of NZ life!

#4 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 05:18

• stujess

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2011
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 28

Hello

I am from NZ and have I am travelling round SEA at the moment and just got back from Nepal! After saving in Australia for 5 months! Ha ha. I don't think you should need one, it will be a complete pain to lug around Asia. I am not sure about China. In Nepal we hired one for about 50 cents a day while we were trekking and the hotels/guesthouses provided blankets. In summer in Australia you will not need one, but perhaps if you are travelling to WA/VIC/TAS in winter. New Zealand gets very cold but as noted above you could purchase one once you get there. trademe.co.nz is where you can pick up good second hand items. Hope this helps.

#5 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 05:50

• FishyGigi

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

My advice - buy them when you get to the countries needed. Most of the countries you mentioned have a climate in which you wont necessarily need them in. They will just tie you down and take up space,add to the weight etc.

#6 Posted: 12/11/2012 - 04:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.