Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

New Balance Minimus shoes

Posted by Billz858 on 13/10/2012 at 16:08

This will be my first back packing trip in SEA and I plan on doing the typical local site seeing and some hiking. A buddy of mine recommended new balance Minimus because its comfortable and it's waterproof ability. Should these work ok? I'm not really in favor of boots because of its bulkiness. Help!

#1 Billz858 has been a member since 9/10/2012. Location: United States. Posts: 4

Posted by caseyprich on 13/10/2012 at 20:08

I've never used hiking boots - not necessary for trail hiking unless you have weak ankles. I've always made the drying speed of a shoe top priority. Don't mind if it gets wet so long as it is dry by the end of the day.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by goonistik on 13/10/2012 at 21:25

You need hiking shoes only if you are going through really difficult terrain, or you are carrying a heavy backpack with camping gear and supplies, or both.

For a day hike, trail running shoes are fine.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Billz858 on 14/10/2012 at 12:37

Thank you both for the reply. I went and purchased the Minimus. It's very light and comfortable. Lets see how it holds up.

#4 Billz858 has been a member since 9/10/2012. Location: United States. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.