Gear and equipment forum

Osprey Farpoint 55 advice

• eoincasey1

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2012

Hi

Looking at getting the Osprey Farpoint 55 for upcoming backpacking trip around SE Asia (10 weeks) and onwards to Australia and NZ.

It seems to have all the features that I'm looking for, but wondering if many out there have used it before and your practical experience of it?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

#1 Posted: 10/11/2012 - 14:39

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

That is a fairly large pack and the airlines might ask you to check it. If travelling light is possible for you, consider the smaller, carry-on sized Farpoint 40. The Waypoint 46 is bit larger but AFAIK is only available in North America.

If you are in NA, take a look at the MEC Wayfarer or MEC supercontinent series.

#2 Posted: 10/11/2012 - 20:29

• eoincasey1

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2012

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I think I will need at least the 55l, and we already have checked baggage included in our initial flights so that is not so much an issue for the time being.

Interested if anyone has had any issues using the bag itself, comfort wise and reliability wise?

Thanks again

#3 Posted: 11/11/2012 - 08:15

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Have you googled it? On the first page of results was a link to this blog:
    http://www.answeringoliver.com/2012/01/my-rtw-backpack-round-two-osprey.html

#4 Posted: 11/11/2012 - 13:16

• eoincasey1

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2012

Thanks Lizzy, that article was actually the reason I posted here! The authors view is great but the last comment just made me think to see if there were any other differing experiences.

Thanks

#5 Posted: 11/11/2012 - 16:24

• eoincasey1

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2012

Thanks Lizzy, that article was actually the reason I posted here! The authors view is great but the last comment just made me think to see if there were any other differing experiences.

Thanks

#6 Posted: 11/11/2012 - 16:25

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

In general, the Osprey travel packs are well-regarded. There are reviews by actual useres here.

http://www.rei.com/product/803310/osprey-farpoint-55-travel-pack

There is a less enthusiastic review here:
    http://thiskentuckygirl.com/day-57-the-backpack-dilemma-osprey-farpoint-55-youre-bringing-me-down/

Some of her negative comments strike me as unwarranted. Such as the non-inclusion of compression bags and the lack of pockets big enough for wet shoes. Some her other complaints (lack of rain cover, difficult to zip daypack to mainpack when both are full) are more relevant.

It seems to me most of dissatisfaction stems from buying the wrong backpack. From the sound of things, the reviewer needed a photo/travel backpack like the FStop Tilopa. So please bear that in mind when you read her comments.

#7 Posted: 11/11/2012 - 23:43

• FishyGigi

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

I brought this for my ex partner as part of his Xmas present last year. We then went travelling around the Med and he made full use of it. The bag itself was practical and due to the large size, did indeed need checking at the airports/ferry ports for security also. As far as I know he loved it and found it useful, I havent seen him in 4 months thoough so I cant give you the latest [img]smileys/tongue.gif[/img]

#8 Posted: 12/11/2012 - 04:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.