Gear and equipment forum

6 months worth of clothing..

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

So i leave for SEA in a month and have put no thought into buying clothing to take with me... I will be in BKK for at least a week and figured id hit the markets and shed any UK western clothing anyway!

I plan to take (roughly):

3 plain thin cotton tees
    1 thin cotton shirt
    1 swimshorts
    1 shorts
    1 trousers (help here please, im not sure what would be best)
    1 thin pullover
    underwear
    running trainers
    sandals

I'd plan to hit the markets soon after arriving, that lot will be do me until then right? Any essential additions?
    1 thin shirt

#1 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 00:00

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Cotton twill for the trousers.
    I prefer the dri-fit type t-shirts because they dry more quickly than cotton t-shirts. But 100% cotton t-shirts are fine.

There are t-shirts made from polyester-cotton blends. They don't wrinkle as much but they can become smelly once you've perspired a lot. I would rather be wrinkled and comfortable than be smelly.

I'd add a pair of flipflops to your list.

#2 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 00:46

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

maybe a pair of socks or two. but even those are fairly easy to buy in thailand now. i've also seen people be very pleased with those travel-style pants that zip off at the knee to convert into a pair of shorts. they are lightweight, meaning they don't take up much space in your pack and are easy to clean - quick to dry.

make sure you buy a hat once you get to bangkok too. have a great time.

#3 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 10:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, you probably don't plan to hit any clubs... but if you do, you'll want something a touch more upscale than what you've got on the list.

#4 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 11:48

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Trousers- well cotton is best for the heat and cargo pants with lots of pockets for your wallet, phone etc as you spend most of the time in a tee-shirt with no other pockets.
    Bum bags or fanny packs as the Americans call them are a fashion faux pas. ;-)
    As an aside do the Americans know what fanny is to the Brits?
    Maybe Madmac can answer.

#5 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 13:35

• ericgsmith

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2012
    Location New Zealand

Although dark tee shirts attract more heat they are easier to clean or at least appear clean. White tees will not stay white for long.

#6 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 14:48

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

Thank you for your replies. I certainly wont be in a rush to get to clubs and if i do, will buy a shirt out there, im only 5'7" so imagine i wont struggle.

Advice taken on the tshirt colour, i figured that would be the case.

Will I be able to buy some comfy sandals or are they primarily cheap quality? Also, any recommendations of where to get trousers from (uk)?

Thanks again, i just can't wait now!

#7 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 15:30

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

In hindsight and considering your comment MM, i think ill take a nice fitting cotton shirt. Are "clubs" generally well AC'ed?

#8 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 16:10

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

@ sayadian. yes, we know. but it is funny to watch our UK friends shoot beer out their noses when we say "fanny pack", so we keep saying it, knowing full well the other meaning...

#9 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 17:39

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

My list more or less is this...
    1 t-shirt
    1 undershirt
    1 sleeveless T
    2 short sleeve shirts
    2 swimshorts - one can be worn as shorts
    2 3 quarter pants - plenty of pockets
    1 pair of pants with zipper
    1 medium pullover
    2 underwear - quickdry
    1 pair socks
    1 pair flip flops
    3 pairs water able footwear (one walking, one for boats & snorkelling - coral is sharp - other pair for night outings and if the others are wet - don't look like runners - good for city stuff)

I know, but I'm fussy on footwear :)

#10 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 20:57

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OP - yes, clubs are almost always air conditioned.

Sayadian - why is it Brits still struggle with getting their vocabulary up to date? Hell I heard some Brit the other day complain about the "fookin' Thai drivers". Fookin' ain't a word.

#11 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 23:47

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Found shoes/sandals are not good quality in SE Asia with perhaps the exception of Vietnam where they sell good leather products.
    As regards dark teeshirts; don't be tempted to wear more than one day because the dirt doesn't show. They will soon smell pretty rank.
    Madmac:
    Fookin tells me this guy was from the North of England. They have a strong accent.
    On the subject of American/ English. When I say I fancy a brew at 6 am all Americans think I'm an alcoholic whereas in UK it means tea not booze.

#12 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 02:57

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

I always bring a pair of jeans and a fleece for if I find myself in the hills and it is chilly. I've never really had a problem wearing jeans around and you'll see a lot of people in the hotter areas wearing them during the day anyway -- and they can stay clean for a long spell . . . or seem clean with a few good wacks on the porch railing. I'm imagining with 6 months you're going to end up in places like Paksong or Sapa and you'll be happy to have them.

#13 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 08:37

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I hardly wear jeans at home, let alone when travelling. They are too heavy, lack pockets and take too long to dry.

#14 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 09:35

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

i'm afraid i agree with casey on this one. jeans have come in really handy in the hills or wandering around at night. same with the fleece. plus, so many times buses and trains are air-conditioned to the "meat locker" setting that i'm glad to have something a little more substantial to wear. jeans tend to hold up more to heavy use too, and have a better chance of lasting the full six months. besides, they aren't expensive either, so if it turns out the OP doesn't need them, he can always just drop them off someone for someone else to use. ta.

#15 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 10:00

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

My medium pullover is a fleece - windproof with several pockets with zippers :)

My newest toy is a waterproof/shockproof camera, also bringing a dry bag this time as I'll be around water most of the time. I bring a snorkel mask to save on rental costs and know I at least I have one that works. A neck pillow, silk sleeping bag liner & quick dry towel.

One thing I'm bringing is sunblock, as that's expensive everywhere and really cuts into your daily budget if you buy it there.

#16 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 12:04

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

great ideas, particularly the fleece pullover, snorkel & mask, and silk sleeping sack. on a long trip, those will come in handy often and are easily worth the weight/space in your pack.

#17 Posted: 22/12/2012 - 11:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

altmtl - I wear jeans often. They are rugged and I find them comfortable. And I've yet to see Jeans that don't have pockets. I'm with Casey on this one.

#18 Posted: 22/12/2012 - 21:37

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

The pockets are too tight, my 3/4 pants have side pockets on the lower legs w/ zippers and are excellent for a note pad, a small camera, my glasses. I just don't like jeans - lol - I don't find them comfortable at all for travelling. I think army style pants are way more practical.

#19 Posted: 23/12/2012 - 11:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well Camis are light weight, wear easy (not durable though), and have lots of pockets. That is all true. I like them too. But I like Jeans as well. I don't carry a lot of crap in my pockets so that's less of an issue for me. Camera's, etc go in my pack.

#20 Posted: 23/12/2012 - 23:20

• jc1257

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

You're list looks quite similar to what I had for 6 months in Asia. I had only quick-dry moisture wicking stuff so that I could wash it easily. I also brought 2 pairs of zip-off pants. That way you can wear them as shorts during the day and as pants for a nice evening or a cool day. Plus, if you are hitting up some temples where you need pants, you can just throw the pant legs in your day bag and zip them on before going in.

That stuff was enough to get me through southeast Asia and a cold spell in the Chinese mountains, Mongolia, and Siberia.

If you take jeans, you'll be have to pay to get them dried every time you wash them. They will also be heavy in your bag. Very bad idea in my opinion.

#21 Posted: 24/12/2012 - 00:43

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

OK jeans are fine I suppose in the cool season though with two tight pockets I wonder where you keep your phone, wallet, keys and maybe passport if you are travelling. The problem with jeans, other than the lack of storage is using them in the wet season. Some of you guys live in S.E. Asia so you must have the perennial drying problem.The mould gets in thick clothes before they have a chance to dry so they stink.

#22 Posted: 24/12/2012 - 04:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Nope, no problem. I wash them, then I hang them and they dry. But the area I hang my clothes in is covered. So the rainy season isn't an issue.

#23 Posted: 24/12/2012 - 11:13

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

Thanks for the indepth discussion TF members, youve surpassed expectations again!

Where are you from in Thailand Madmac? I've read lots of your opinions and it would be good to put a hometown to a name! Im travelling north from Thailand in about a month, id pop by for a beer if you were nearby.

#24 Posted: 24/12/2012 - 12:00

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    I used to hang stuff in a covered area too but the air was so damp the clothes took an age to dry and usually smelt bad.
    As far as not carrying much. When you are travelling it's really nice to have lots of zipped pockets so your passport,wallet etc are safe and no temptation to the local scalliwags.

#25 Posted: 24/12/2012 - 12:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

bd
    I'm in Mukdahan. I've had a number of travelfishers come by. Feel free anytime.

Sayadian
    If the air is really moist from heavy rains - use a fan. Put a fan on the clothes. Makes a big difference. They'll dry much quicker.

#26 Posted: 25/12/2012 - 00:11

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Pat lom sounds like a good idea.

#27 Posted: 25/12/2012 - 13:39

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

This thread ended up providing lots of great information, thank you everybody.

An additional question as I start packing my bag... how do you all minimise the creasing of clothing? I was always taught to roll, but I'm intrigued as to others' suggestions.

#28 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 05:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.