Gear and equipment forum

Suitcase vs. Backpack???

• OliveOyle826

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2012

I'm trying to decide whether to bring my small suitcase with wheels or buy a new backpack. I remember disliking my backpack when traveling through Europe and never being able to find anything. I will be traveling by bus and train through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Is it feasible to travel with my suitcase, or should i go with a backpack?

#1 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 12:56

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Backpack is easier to move around, but if you are not planning on looking for a room via your two feet, then it's not a big deal. But if you plan to show up in a new town and walk around looking for a hotel, then definitely a backpack, as the sidewalks here are not conducive to strollers or suitcases on wheels.

#2 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 13:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say depends now big the wheelie bag is -- personally I prefer a small pack, but the wheelie bags are increasingly common -- especially as transportation has increased so much, so if you've already got one and didn't like the backpack last time, sounds like a good idea to stick with what you have.

#3 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 01:37

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

One example - say you are going to 4,000 islands in Southern Laos . . . there is sand, not sidewalk and it won't be fun to carry the wheeled suitcase around. However, if you're only visiting major cities you should be fine as every train/bus station will have plenty fo Tuk-Tuk drivers willing to throw your bag up top for you and take you to a destination. Just have an idea where you want to go before you arrive in town so you don't have to wander around.

#4 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 04:59

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Even at my age, I still prefer a backpack to a wheelie suitcase. I probably look even more silly than I imagine, but the flexibility of being able to move around over the almost never smooth surfaces in out-of-the-way places makes it the right choice for me. But as the others have said, it depends on what you'll be doing. If you'll be largely in developed areas and taking a taxi from the bus/train station directly to your hotel, a wheelie case is fine. If you plan to wander in off-the-beaten-path spots, then a pack may be your better option. Regards.

#5 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 10:51

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Backpack all the way, those suitcases with wheels are annoying, try and walk past people getting out of somewhere with them and you'll understand, the slowness, sudden stopping, it's not long before you're bumping into these things. Plus I like to have my hands free. As the others pointed out they are not great on sand or crappy roads, expect to lose a wheel or have the handle break at one point.

#6 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 19:40

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Many accom places in Vietnam in particular are in tall skinny buildings, with only 2-3 rooms per floor. You will invariably end up on the 3rd, 4th or 5th floors. These places don't have elevators, of course - which means hiking up the stairs. It's much easier with a backpack!

#7 Posted: 6/1/2013 - 13:08

• AddyH

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

BACKPACK!
    After years of travelling, we've got it down to 30 litre backpack each and this includes carrying fins, snorkel, mask. It makes life so much easier when you don't have to check in luggage for flights. Also, it's a lot more fun walking around a new place looking for a room. Also less hassle because it's not obvious that you've only just arrived.
    Happy travels !

#8 Posted: 23/1/2013 - 01:31

• JSquared

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2013

They make rolling backpacker-style backpacks these days, a marriage of two great things!

#9 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 00:40

• travelmusic

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2013

Less is more! Don't bring much at all. Everything you need is already there. A small pack with out all the bells and whistles is best. My pack fits in my lap.

#10 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 20:44

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Backpack or suitcase with wheels? ... By Emma23 on 18 May 2012 8 5962 18 May 2012
Backpack or rolling suitcase ... By msuerowan on 24 Nov 2009 20 13754 21 Nov 2010