Gear and equipment forum

HOW TO WRAP BACKPACK FOR AIRPLANE

• krysta_leea-
    nn

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2013

when we went backpacking thru europe we had to pay to have our bag wrapped in plastic wrap cause of the straps dangling off the bag and the airline saying they would get stuck in the conveyer belts ....anyone else experience this?? does anyone have any ideas on how they set up their bags for the plane? or a trick we could use so we wont have to pay for this??

thanks!

#1 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 11:01

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

hi krysta,

many years ago i bought a black-colored lightweight duffle-style bag that's large enough to fit around my pack. i stuff my backpack into this bag any time i check the bag for a flight or store the bag in a bus cargo hold. it helps protect the pack and keep in clean as well. then when i arrive, i take the pack out of the bag, roll up the bag, and stuff it in my pack. the bag doubles as a laundry bag for taking clothes to/from the laundry when i'm on the road too. with any luck you can find something at a travel store or general goods store. take your pack with you to make sure it fits before you buy it.

if you are already in thailand, you'll see street vendors using something similar to pack up their goods at the end of the sales day. these are usually multi-colored striped bags made of a re-inforced plastic material that zip closed on the top and come in different sizes. you'll find them at MBK or the weekend market. good luck.

#2 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 11:50

• Stylostar

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

An outer bag like exacto says is good.

There are specific duffle type bags available for this in travel shops, at least in Western countries. They are light, but hopefully strong nylon and have zippers that can be locked with a padlock which gives a tiny bit of security against causal theft or (improbably) a baggage handler using your backpack to smuggle stuff.

Overpriced for what they are, but what travel gear isn't?

#3 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 03:18

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

yeah here in canada, we have a mountain equipment co-op store.

when i back packed in 2011, i bought a $20.00 heavy duty light weight duffle bag, specifcally to put your back pack in and loaded into cargo, works great for buses as well, and i'd always lock it as well, and keeps your back pack perfectly clean,

for $20.00, you can't go wrong with that

#4 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 07:27

• krysta_leea-
    nn

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2013

thanks guys!! i will take a look for these bags!!

#5 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 10:02

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I assume you're talking about a large pack? I just use a smaller 40L travel pack - the straps can be tucked away for airline travel, but I also shrink wrap it for my protection. These days there are plenty of thieves among airline personnel (not that I carry many valuables, but I still like my privacy).

#6 Posted: 2/2/2013 - 10:04

• robthetrekk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2013

There are several purpose made airline transit bags including www.pro-tector.co.uk who have them ethically made in Nepal - Not too expensive and some good feedback on their testimonials page
    Good Luck
    Rob

#7 Posted: 14/4/2013 - 10:26

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Buy a travel pack, one that has the zip up cover to cover most of the straps. Then just tie up any of the other remaining ones. I haven't done a lot of travelling but never had issues with mine and I also love the travel pack style because you can easily lock the zippers.

#8 Posted: 14/4/2013 - 10:55

• brambora

Click here to learn more about brambora
    Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2009
    Location Czech Republic
    Total reviews: 7

Well, this probably isn't fancy enough for some people, but years ago I saw someone use a big garbage bag for their checked backpack at the airport.. and I have been using the same ever since! No need to buy another bag for your bag. Works the same (keeps straps out of the way, keeps bag clean, plus thieves probably won't be very interested).

#9 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 07:22

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Huh?

Any decent backpack has a cover that zips up over the straps for planes.

#10 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 07:40

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Garbage bag lol. Would.rip and fall apart

#11 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 07:42

• robthetrekk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2013

I once tried protecting my own rucksack with a garbage bag -Then the bag went missing when my flight arrived in Bangkok
    It took me Days to get it back and when I did, you wouldn't t believe the state it was in, covered in slime and Stinking !!

It came to light that when the plane offloaded the luggage,mine got mixed up with the garbage and was skipped, so I was Very Lucky to get it back !!

So, Disguising your very expensive trekking gear in a garbage bag may well be cheap
    But it also might well have unwanted consequences [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Best Regards

Rob

#12 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 08:22

• brambora

Click here to learn more about brambora
    Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2009
    Location Czech Republic
    Total reviews: 7

Rob, good point, never thought about that happening. I may switch to a see-through bag then :) And of course I'm not suggesting you use one bag for 3 month + trip, but they are easy to get anywhere in the world. Depends on how much flying you do I guess.

Anyway, just wanted to add my two cents worth. I've gotten along fine without any extra bags at all for the most part, as I don't mind my bag getting dirty and I just tie up the straps the best I can and its always been fine. If all else fails.. garbage bag!

#13 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 09:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.