Gear and equipment forum

Cell phones and sim cards

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hello everyone!

I travel to SE Asia fairly often and in two weeks I'm heading back for a trip to Myanmar. I'd like to have a mobile phone this time around so that I can call guesthouses to book rooms, keep in touch with other travelers, etc...

In the USA we use a different mobile phone system, so my current phone won't work in Myanmar. I read somewhere that I need an unlocked GSM mobile phone and can just buy sim card there to use for it. Do I have that right? If so, is it cheaper to buy an unlocked phone there?

Thanks,

Matt

#1 Posted: 2/6/2013 - 20:12

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Matt,

That is correct. You need to buy an unlocked GSM phone. It will work in most countries of Asia, Japan and Korea being the only exceptions I am aware of. If the phone is unlocked, you can just change SIMS to use the local network.

You don't mention where you plan to buy the phone but I figure that in the more open countries like Thailand, SG, Ph and Malaysia you can get cheap cellphones.

A basic China brand cellphone for sending text messages and calling can be as low as $20. A basic Nokia cellphone might be about $25. Many of these phones are sold unlocked but it is possible that a telco will sell a locked version of the phone. So before you buy, make sure the phone is unlocked.
    I've come across stories about the weird situation in Myanmar where you can buy a SIM but you can't reload it.
    http://toomanyadapters.com/how-to-buy-sim-card-burma-myanmar/

#2 Posted: 2/6/2013 - 22:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cell phones in S.E.A? ... By missgeo on 29 Dec 2011 4 3512 31 Dec 2011
Cell Phones in Bangkok ... By mreiss on 8 Sep 2012 6 4167 17 Feb 2014
Calling mobile or cell phones in Kanchanaburi ... By husqvarna on 14 Dec 2009 8 3467 18 Dec 2009