Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Backpack for Asia

Posted by lucindalinda on 25/8/2013 at 20:55

Hello,
I am going to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia for 3 weeks, starting on Monday.

I am on a tour for the majority of this time Which does include an overnight train, slow boat and some buses- So it wont always be secure. My friend got me a backpack for when I go away, however I just got it over the weekend and I realised that the top part does not have a zip- So it has a drawstring and then the flap that goes over and has 2 clips to close it.

Do you think this will be ok or should I find a different one with zips so I can lock it? Or is there options to have better security with this one that I have?

Also, do you get much wifi in these areas? I will be mostly in the tourist areas while i am there, is it worth bringing my mobile or is there no point?

Thank you in advance :)

#1 lucindalinda has been a member since 25/8/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by SBE on 26/8/2013 at 03:03

When I'm choosing a backpack, the first thing I check is whether it has a sturdy a zip that can be locked. Most backpacks have drawstrings but for me a lockable zip is an essential feature and I don't buy unless the rucksack has one. It won't stop a determined thief of course but it does make quick opportunistic theft a little more difficult. If you can easily exchange the rucksack for one that can be locked then do so. If you can't, then don't stress about it. You certainly won't be the only tourist with one and most tourists never get robbed.

When you're on the move never put valuables in your big backpack, whether or not it can be locked. Keep all your most precious stuff on your person or in a lockable day bag that never leaves your sight when you're on trains, buses and boats. Just use common sense.

All the locals have mobile phones and there's wifi everywhere so yes, bring your mobile.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,003
 Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.