Gear and equipment forum

Which Travel Bag

• kanda

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

I am going solo to Southeast Asia for 1.5 months in January and I am trying to figure out what bag I should take.

I currently have this '65L' bag;

http://www.luggagesuperstore.co.uk/caribee-loco-65-sports-bag/p1029

however, I haven't used it / travelled with it before, or at all without conventional standing wheeled luggage. It seems a little small, but I'm currently not in a position where I can fill it up and test it, unfortunately.

I was considering buying this 90L Kathmandu bag;

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/packs-and-bags/bags/tanker-cargo-v2-90l-blue-charcoal.html?___SID=U

I'm not sure if I would prefer some kind of backpack or not. Please advise.

Does anyone have insight or reccomendations for me? Is there a better value option somewhere? Kathmandu isn't usually great value, even on sale.

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 6/12/2013 - 22:59

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Keep to the 65 litre bag. Do not ge the 90l - you probably won't be able to carry once it's all packed. Or at least, you won't WANT to carry it in the heat, etc.

65 litres is more than enough, and you're only away for 6 weeks. Having the shoulder strap on the bag (as per the pic) will be useful. Just check that it will be strong enough to carry 15kgs or so (the max you will want to be hauling around. 12kg is better if you can do it).

I have a 65l Kathmandu pack which I considered downgrading to a smaller size. However, I decided to keep it - just because it holds 65l doesn't mean that I need to fill it. And then I have space to put in extras that I buy along the way. I had a shoulder strap sewn onto mine (reinforced) and I now have the perfect pack as far as I'm concerned. I tend to use that shoulder strap now rather than the backpack straps - but it's good to know that the backpack straps are there is I ended up having to walk longer distances.

The zip on day packs are generally a waste of time. I didn't like the one that came with my pack so sold it off and bought another one. Because that holds my valuables I would never want it the big pack anyhow.

If I were you, I'd just use the 65l duffle bag that you've got. Maybe invest in a few SMALL packing cubes to help keep your stuff organised. Well worth it to me (a neat freak when it comes to travelling).

#2 Posted: 6/12/2013 - 23:26

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Dont want a big bag. You would have to pay extra luggage fees at airport if you fill it up. Easy to wash clothes once a week or take old ones and buy new.

Ive seen female bps walk around with big backpacks and they look so uncomfortable with backs hunched over.

#3 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 21:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.