Gear and equipment forum

Picking a Bag

• jrobr

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

So Im going to Thailand in March for three weeks. Bangkok, Koh Tao mainly. I have a standard british army deployment bag which is 120L but thinking this may be way to big found a 75L one linked here: http://www.luggagesuperstore.co.uk/caribee-fast-track-75-black/p359 what are your opinions? I like the idea that the one linked can be wheeled around and carried if necessary. Any help appreciated!

#1 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 10:17

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I don't know, I would have to think the rigidity and wheels would make that rather uncomfortable to wear. In southeast asia most of the sidewalks and even the roads can be quite rough and wouldn't be that great for a wheeled bag so you would probably end up carrying it most of the time anyways. Plus I don't see the need as you rarely carry your large backpack anyways, only to get from transportation to hotels etc. At most you might walk a couple km if you are to cheap for a taxi/tuk tuk or are having trouble finding a room.

What I like best about my bag and something other people have commented on is how I am able to use small locks on my zippers to keep honest thieves from taking a look through my bag. It makes me feel much better about leaving my bag in the hotel room etc. To me that is one of the most important aspects of choosing a bag for travelling, this bag looks like that might be possible but I am not sure.

There are the camping style bags which are far more comfortable to carry but most of these you can't lock. If you plan on doing long walks/treks etc then a camping style bag would definitely be the way to go though.

#2 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 11:04

• jrobr

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

Thanks for getting back to me Geer,

I also thought It would be awkward to carry with the wheels down at your side however it has covers that pull over them. Could you recommend a bag to me. Not really bag packing but not taking loads with me at the same time plan to buy stuff once their aswell.

#3 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 13:46

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

My problem more with the wheels is that the whole backpack would have to be much more rigid and have a solid frame so that it won't drag when using wheels. This will make it uncomfortable to wear.

As for a recommendation, I haven't researched them at all lately so can't really help. All I can say is that the ones you can lock are usually what they call travelpacks.

My advice is to go look around a couple stores and try to find a cheaper model that is comfortable and lockable.

#4 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 14:20

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I love the comment about honest thieves. I guess that is the difference between a casual (opportunistic) thief and a determined one.

In any case, there have been quite a few previous discussions on this topic. Maybe jrobr could look through some of these threads to see if there is additional useful information for you here. One thing I do remember others saying is that actually trying on a pack at a shop really helped them determine if it was a good personal fit for them or not. Anyway, I hope there is something useful for you here. Regards.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodia/8533_backpack-or-rolling-suitcase

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/18548_backpack-or-suitcase-with-wheels-

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelgear/20632_suitcase-vs--backpack---

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelgear/21324_proper-backpack-for-se-asia

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/7733_need-help-backpack-shopping

#5 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 17:31

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Honest thieves as I like to call them make up the majority of robberies by far. Especially in situations where someone steals something while your bag is in your room. No maid etc is going to cut into or steal your whole backpack, but if it is half open lots of them will take a peak inside. Little locks keep them honest and out of your business and if someone does break into your bag you will know it and have good proof to show the hotel owner.

You do have to be careful you don't use too a backpack/suitcase and that you yourself don't look too valuable. Whereas locks can keep the honest thieves from taking a peak it can also draw attention from the ones that might be willing to cut into it or steal the whole thing. It is a fine line and that is why I like my older used backpack and dress like a poor backpacker tourist lol.

#6 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 18:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

US Army duffel works just fine. Greer hit the nail on the head - you won't be carrying it much anyway.

#7 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 11:41

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Greer...LOL.

#8 Posted: 11/1/2014 - 11:29

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Bags with wheels r heavier so can cost u more to travel with them on discount airlines.

#9 Posted: 7/2/2014 - 01:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.