Gear and equipment forum

Backpack?

• mthawkins

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

I've been looking for backpacks for the past month or two, and even bothering the people at REI to the point where they recognize me now and laugh when they see me back.

I've been looking at the Kestrel 48 (top/bottom load), Gregory Savant 58 (full front load), and the Osprey Farpoint 40.

I would prefer to have my bags carry on, which I believe I've read the Kestrel and Farpoint can be. Not sure about the Savant.
    I read the Savant used to have a 48L but I'm not sure why they don't anymore [img]smileys/frown.gif[/img]

Any tips?
    I don't want anything less than 40L. I'm carrying camera equipment as well, and I'm not a super packing pro yet.

I'd like to add that I will be doing treks (jungles, and Everest Base camp in Nepal) and walking often. Which is one thing that turns me away from the Farpoint. It's not the most comfortable for hiking/trekking.

#1 Posted: 26/3/2014 - 13:40

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Carry on bags need to be small. Just buy any decent brand. Same same.

#2 Posted: 27/3/2014 - 05:49

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

If you are carrying camera gear and you are going on a trek, look at the backpacks from fstopgear and Clik Elite. See if anything there meets your needs.

#3 Posted: 27/3/2014 - 06:11

• mthawkins

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

I won't be carrying much heavy professional camera gear. Just my DSLR and lens or two. Maybe a messenger bag that can hold my camera and iPad

#4 Posted: 27/3/2014 - 07:50

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Its just a bag dude. Any decent brand will last 8 years or more. My backpack is 10 years old - caribee.

Just pick one. Unless your climbing to the top of mt everest i wouldnt stress over it.

#5 Posted: 27/3/2014 - 10:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.