Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Backpack?

Posted by mthawkins on 26/3/2014 at 13:40

I've been looking for backpacks for the past month or two, and even bothering the people at REI to the point where they recognize me now and laugh when they see me back.

I've been looking at the Kestrel 48 (top/bottom load), Gregory Savant 58 (full front load), and the Osprey Farpoint 40.

I would prefer to have my bags carry on, which I believe I've read the Kestrel and Farpoint can be. Not sure about the Savant.
I read the Savant used to have a 48L but I'm not sure why they don't anymore [img]smileys/frown.gif[/img]

Any tips?
I don't want anything less than 40L. I'm carrying camera equipment as well, and I'm not a super packing pro yet.

I'd like to add that I will be doing treks (jungles, and Everest Base camp in Nepal) and walking often. Which is one thing that turns me away from the Farpoint. It's not the most comfortable for hiking/trekking.

#1 mthawkins has been a member since 18/3/2014. Posts: 7

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 27/3/2014 at 05:49

Carry on bags need to be small. Just buy any decent brand. Same same.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by goonistik on 27/3/2014 at 06:11

If you are carrying camera gear and you are going on a trek, look at the backpacks from fstopgear and Clik Elite. See if anything there meets your needs.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by mthawkins on 27/3/2014 at 07:50

I won't be carrying much heavy professional camera gear. Just my DSLR and lens or two. Maybe a messenger bag that can hold my camera and iPad

#4 mthawkins has been a member since 18/3/2014. Posts: 7

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 27/3/2014 at 10:05

Its just a bag dude. Any decent brand will last 8 years or more. My backpack is 10 years old - caribee.

Just pick one. Unless your climbing to the top of mt everest i wouldnt stress over it.

#5 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by asellus on 19/8/2014 at 21:43

I prefer top load suitcases like Samsonite Luggage they capacious and it is easy to quickly find things you need if it's necessary, my brother thiugh advice to use front load models cause they are more reliable (he don't explain why...)

#6 asellus has been a member since 19/8/2014. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.