Gear and equipment forum

Men using womens backpack?

• mthawkins

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

So I noticed many female backpacks cater more to what I want. They typically range around the 40-55L, while the men equivalent is much larger.. and for travel, that's unfortunately too large.
    I'm curious if men can purchase a females backpack that has "adjustable/removable" harness to switch out for the mens harness.

Example: The Osprey Aether and it's female equiv. the Ariel both have removable shoulder harness. Why not use a mens shoulder harness with the females bag?

(not sure what my hip measurements are, but I usually wear a 30 in pants.)

#1 Posted: 30/3/2014 - 19:40

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Just try a womens pack and see if it fits. I doubt you would even have to switch out harnesses unless you are super picky.

Not sure where you are but there are lots of 40-55L backpacks for men.

#2 Posted: 30/3/2014 - 19:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Had no idea they had gender based backpacks.

#3 Posted: 30/3/2014 - 20:22

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Unless you are using it to hike for several days, I would suggest that it doesn't matter. In reality, you will probably not be carrying your pack that often and only for short distances at a time.

Just get one that feels comfortable and has the features that you are looking for.

#4 Posted: 30/3/2014 - 21:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

US Army duffel - that's what real men carry.

#5 Posted: 31/3/2014 - 02:11

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

As far as I'm aware, the main differences between female packs and male is that females tend to have shorter back lengths, and wider hip belts, so the height is most likely to be your problem. Can you remove the entire frame, to adjust the max and min height, or just the shoulder harness bit? But curiosity aside, I think the previous posters are right. Your best bet is likely to go to a couple of sporting good shops and try on every bag in the size you want, until you find the one that fits you the best, as I doubt any shop would let you buy the body of one pack and the harness of another - and Ospreys are far too expensive to buy two (or even one, in my mind). Good luck!

#6 Posted: 31/3/2014 - 15:15

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Ive seen some women walk around with some awfully big packs and they look so uncomfortable. They must have packed their entire wardrobe.

#7 Posted: 31/3/2014 - 19:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Ive seen some women walk around with some awfully big packs and they look so uncomfortable. They must have packed their entire wardrobe."

I'd say my wife might have been one of those women, except that I am the designated pack mule.

#8 Posted: 31/3/2014 - 23:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.