Gear and equipment forum

Do I really not need a sleeping bag?

• rooney

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2009

Hi everyone,
    I'm flying into Bangkok this Saturday for 4 weeks in Bangkok, Laos, Cambodia and/or Vietnam. It says in the FAQs section that I don't need to take a sleeping bag, just a sleep sheet.

Is this because I won't need a sleeping bag because of the climate, or because most guesthouses will supply a cover/blanket or similar?

I've looked at climate charts, and I'm not planning on going to North Vietnam where I hear it can get pretty cold this time of year. That said, I might decide to go to North Laos, or mountainous bits of South Vietnam - eg Da Lat, which I hear can get cold at night.

So, do I really not need a sleeping bag? I'd love to not have to take one, because it would free up space and weight in my backpack.

Thanks so much in advance,
    Katherine

#1 Posted: 3/1/2009 - 19:18

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You definitely do not need a sleeping bag. Even $5/night guesthouses will provide you with some linens.

It's a good idea to bring along a flat sheet of your own in case you don't like the looks of what you've been given... to be honest though, I have never traveled with my own sheet in Thailand/Cambo/Laos/Viet. You can just as easily use a sarong!

#2 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 00:53

• rooney

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2009

Fantastic, thanks so much.
    Katherine

#3 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 01:44

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

absolutley no sleeping bag required - if you do get to a place with no blankets... there is normally a good reason for this... like it gets so hot at night the last thing you need is a blanket!

in places where the temp dips a little low, you will get provided all you need

have fun...

#4 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 08:02

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

we've never needed a sleeping bag in SEA either, even in the mountain regions. but the sleep sheet or sleep sack people mention is a wonderful thing to have. it doesn't take up much space at all in your pack and my wife really liked having hers as a source of extra warmth or an extra barrier layer on those few times when the sheets weren't exactly daisy fresh.

the ones we have are silk and made in new zealand. but a lightweight cotton sheet folded over and sewn together is an effective budget option too. or, as durian says, a sarong makes for a great substitute too. regards.

#5 Posted: 4/1/2009 - 12:46

• chicho83

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

Ive seen those sleep sacks on a travel program on tv, the ones i saw were like a sleeping bag but just made of thin sheet of silk and they fit into a little tiny pouch. Does anyone know where i can get one in bangkok or laos? I wanna get one for me and my wife for when we start travelling. Suppose we could have one made at the tailors but does anyone know if they have a thai name?

#6 Posted: 7/1/2009 - 02:06

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

You should be able to find one in Bangkok on Koh San Road - it's backpacker central! I don't remember seeing them in Laos... but I'm sure it's possible to get one there, too. If backpackers like it, everyone will be selling it at the markets.

#7 Posted: 7/1/2009 - 11:26

• redstella

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009

The silk sleepsacks are available in Hanoi - running last time I was there between $4 - $11. Be sure to get the 100% silk ones as the lower cost ones are sometimes synthetic - not too nice on hot nights. They have a little envelope at the top for a pillow. I have also seen them in REI but those are $60 - same same but more expensive! They are also great for mosquitoes. Besides sometimes it is nice to pull out something familiar to sleep in/on in your room.

#8 Posted: 8/1/2009 - 02:03

• rashers

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2013

I'm hoping somebody out there could tell me where in KL I might find them. Will be travelling there soon and would prefer not wait till I get to Hanoi to find them. Where in Hanoi, by the way?

#9 Posted: 25/1/2013 - 11:27

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Can't help you with a place in Malaysia, but in Hanoi I remember seeing them in several shops in the centre of town - next to the lake, and along from Water Puppet theatre. There were readily available.

#10 Posted: 25/1/2013 - 16:15

• Advertisement

• rashers

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2013

Thanks Busylizzy. Gonna try my luck in Hoi An as that's my first stop after KL before I go on to Hanoi.

#11 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 14:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.