Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Do I need to bring mosquito net to South East Asia?

Posted by drgoldsmoke on 8/1/2009 at 01:07

Just wondering would it be wise to bring a mosquito net? I will be gone for 6 months.

Thank you.

#1 drgoldsmoke has been a member since 8/1/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by basho on 27/1/2009 at 16:02

Posted from within Vietnam.

I have used mine only twice and wish I left it behind. But then I am "flashpacking" in SEA and not dorming or staying in v.cheap hostels.

There are definitely mossys around, especially in Laos/Cambodia and being bitten is regular anyway. Make sure you get coils and a knockdown spay and nuke your room before you go to dinner. Most places will have nets, but they can be torn, so bring some strong tape instead!

#2 basho has been a member since 10/5/2008. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 24
 Website 

Posted by dageshi on 28/3/2009 at 10:33

Largely pointless, most decent rooms even in the $6 dollar range should have shields on the windows, plus there won't be any hooks on the ceiling to hang them anyway, infact most rooms in SEA don't have hooks. Only place it might be worth having is if your going to some very undeveloped/undiscovered island but that being the case you can probably buy a cheap one for $10 locally and discard it after.

To be honest unless your camping out in the jungle with your own kit I wouldn't worry about it, most people end up selling theirs on Khao San Rd.

#3 dageshi has been a member since 1/3/2008. Posts: 56

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.