Gear and equipment forum

Helmets and Moto Taxis

• jareduk

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008
    Location United Kingdom

This is going to be a short post as this is the third time writing it!

Do moto taxis have helmets (Cambodia, Vietnam & Laos) or do you have to have your own?

If you buy your own, is it easy to sell them on (I don't really want to carry a helmet round Aus, NZ, and the US!!)?

Cheers

Jared.

#1 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 05:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can buy helmets anywhere, they're generally very cheap and of average quality (they're skid lid type, not full face helmets. Some motorbike taxi guys will have a spare one, but not always -- if you insist they'll generally be able to find one for you to borrow. They're cheap enough to hardly warant trying to sell.

Third time post -- what happened to the earlier versions?

#2 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 14:06

• jareduk

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks, I think I'll just go ahead and buy a helmet then. Stupid not to have one for the sake a few bucks.

The first couple of times, I just got an error message, saying that my post has failed, and if I continued to have problems to contact travelfish. Sorry I cannot give you any more information I didn't note the error. If it happens again I'll make note of it and post the error on the forum.

#3 Posted: 20/1/2009 - 15:34

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

I try to make a habit of copying everything I write to the clipboard for 'errors' such as that! Ive wasted too much time learning the hard way.

#4 Posted: 13/6/2009 - 23:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

In Thailand, they're required and in Bangkok most of the moto taxi drivers have them for passengers now.

This is an interesting, fun, high risk form of transportation - not for the feint hearted. Great for the adrenaline though.

#5 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 03:05

• HoangDJ

Click here to learn more about HoangDJ
    Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009
    Location Vietnam

Thailand and Vietnam, 99% moto taxi have helmets. Price for it in Vietnam is around USD10 to USD15 - reasonable quality, in Thailand is from USD20 to USD30. Cambodia around 15$ but very good quality. For Laos, I've never bought any, but I know that they are now force the moto taxi to have helmets for passenger, as they are holding the next SEA Games.

#6 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 16:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hoang
    I just bought a helmut here - cost was about 4 USD. For 30 USD you get a serious helmut.

#7 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 19:26

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I've experienced a few (though not many) motobike taxis in Bangkok who didn't have a helmet to spare, but never in Vietnam. There, it's a pretty sizable ticket if you or your passenger is caught riding without a helmet.

#8 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 01:33

• HoangDJ

Click here to learn more about HoangDJ
    Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009
    Location Vietnam

MADMAC,

You even can buy a helmet in Vietnam with VND50,000 (less than $3). The cheapest in BKK I don't know, but I saw in Chatuchak market - Bangkok they sell it with 300 baht (around $10), but the quality is unacceptable.

I always go off-road in Vietnam (I'm Vietnamese, btw), so in my point of view, the price I mentioned here is the price with reasonable quality, and can save your life in case of getting accident.

#9 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 15:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I can't speak for BKK, since I never bought a helmut there. But the hemlut in your avatar is available where I live (Mukdahan) for about 150 baht. In fact, that's what I paid for mine.

#10 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 19:30

• Advertisement

• JacknKel

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

Hey all this Motorcycle talk.....Im terrified of them!!! Am i going to survive SEA without getting on one? I mean really, can I get around without them at all?

#11 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 19:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Hey all this Motorcycle talk.....Im terrified of them!!! Am i going to survive SEA without getting on one? I mean really, can I get around without them at all?"

Never be terrified of anything. It makes life less fun.

But to answer you question - sure. In Bangkok you can always take a bus, sky train, taxi... in provincial locations a Tuk Tuk (or skylab) is usually available. So yeah, they're avoidable. But man they're fun.

#12 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 13:48

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

What are the chances the helmet will fit a large western head?

I remember seeing a TV special where 3 guys drove motor bikes through Vietnam - 2 of them couldn't find helmets big enough for their heads! Don't know how hard they really looked though.

#13 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 14:08

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Rohan

They were Poms - and they had their own very highly rated TV show. Two have a very big TV viewer following. Clearly, they had BIG heads.

For ordinary mortals like you and me, no probs.

Cheers

#14 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 15:12

• JacknKel

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

thanks madmac..they may be fun but not when your 12 year old son is on the back of a bike with a stranger and im holding on for life on another bike. i dont see any fun there. i wouldnt trust anyone with that task. :-) wish me luck im heading over in october

#15 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 18:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"thanks madmac..they may be fun but not when your 12 year old son is on the back of a bike with a stranger and im holding on for life on another bike. i dont see any fun there. i wouldnt trust anyone with that task. :-) wish me luck im heading over in october"

My little girl always rides with me... I would not trust her to a Thai motorcycle taxi (she's 2).

But my son rides here, and he loves it! Course he's 22 and he always has a good looking girl glued to him riding on the back of my bike!

#16 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 16:31

• husqvarna

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

Does anyone know about helmets required and/or available with motorcycle rental on Ko Samet? Also, I rent a REAL dirt bike, not just a moped on Ko Samet? How about prices.

#17 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 15:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ko Samet so small there's hardly a need for motorbikes -- can't imagine helmet law being enforced, though am sure if you needed one they'd be able to scrape one together for you. Can't help on dirt bikes -- not sure if they're available on Samet.

#18 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 18:19

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

On Samet I found that mostly there were just mopeds but with off road tyres, even with these the 'roads' will be a nightmare (I hired one with normal tyres...BAD idea)
    Theres loads of quad bikes which are probably a better bet if you feel comfortable riding one

Oh and no helments whatsoever

#19 Posted: 25/9/2009 - 17:58

• scafire_jes-
    se

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Just got back from Cambodia and while by law, the drivers must now have helmets, passengers don't and none of my drivers had extra.

But you can buy a decent helmet for $15-17 easy, which is what I did. They all thought it was pretty funny, since the Cambodians seem to universally hate the helmet law and have no idea why you'd wear one if you didn't have to.

I gave mine to my driver when I left Siem Reap, it was nicer and newer than his and I wasn't about to lug it back to the States, where I'm sure it doesn't meet our safety standards.

I'll miss my trusty Space Crown brand helmet, though.

#20 Posted: 26/9/2009 - 03:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I hate wearing a helmut, although the safety reasons for doing so are undeniable.

#21 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 15:22

• Mike_V

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009

That's weird, but I don't recall ever wearing a helmet on a moto in Vietnam.

Last time I was there was a couple of years ago.
    I even checked my photos.
    Definitely no helmets.

Haven't been to Cambodia in years, but never saw a passenger in a helmet there either.

Always wore a helmet in Bangkok, but not elsewhere in Thailand.

#22 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 10:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Mike
    When I first came to Thailand no one wore helmuts in the province either (Yaso). But when I came back they were enforcing the helmut law in the city - but only during daytime. That's the way it is here now.

#23 Posted: 9/11/2009 - 15:19

• Mike_V

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009

Unfortunately I haven't been in Thailand for years.

Maybe next year?

#24 Posted: 13/12/2009 - 18:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.