Gear and equipment forum

Backpack and other travel gear: buy it when I land?

• dnoriega

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2009

I've decided to backpack through SEAsia for 3 months but I've never backpacked and thus do not have one.

I'm currently in South Korea. I went backpack shopping but it proved difficult to find anything for a guy with a 52 cm torso length.

I did find ONE backpack, a North Face Primero 60, but I couldn't find a good duffle bag or a rain cover. I got the pack since it felt OK, but being unable to compare it to any other packs to compare it too, and being a newbie to begin with, I'm uncertain it was worth the money.

My question is, should I take back the pack, land in Beijing (where I'm starting) with a simple bag with all my things and find an outdoor store there and get everything? I'm afraid I'll be in the same position as in South Korea: a giant in a land of merchandise for smaller folk.

Thoughts?

#1 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 19:13

• Advertisement

• dnoriega

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2009

Oh, and I have read all the articles on backpacks on travelfish. I know it warns against buying a pack in Asia, but I feel as long as I can find a nice bag to last me 3 months, I'll be ok.

#2 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 19:16

• pamjane

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009

If, by any chance, you're still in Korea... check out the back alleys of Jongno 5-Ga in Seoul (near Dongdaemun). There are more than a dozen small hiking shops, with quite a few gear brand names to choose from (Karrimor, Arc'Teryx, Northface, Osprey, Gregory, Deuter, etc).

Most of the stuff is geared toward hikers, but if you dedicate half a day to looking, you should be able to find about all you need. All of the shops are closed on Sunday.

#3 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 04:38

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

dnoriega - where are you in Korea? I am also here.

I would strongly suggest that you buy one in Korea. Koreans love their gear and you can find some good quality packs here. If you are in a large city there will definately be some travel stores for you to shop around in.

I have made the mistake of buying backpacks in Thailand and Malaysia. Just something to carry around the extra stuff that I managed to collect while there. Unless you buy a name-brand one in a legitimate shopping center, they are always garbage, trust me. Usually the zippers go first and it's an awful situation.

I bought a high quality LL Bean bag three years ago and has been a great investment.

I know it's hard in Korea but some Koreans are big. Do you have some Korean friends that can help you shop on the internet? GMarket is a good place to look.

Try this link

#4 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 11:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.