Gear and equipment forum

What is the most versatile mobile phone to use in Asia?

• gregoreye

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2009

This fall and winter I'll be travelling through southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, France) then to India, Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong. What mobile phone is best to use for all of these regions? I like the IPhone's features, but all of the ones sold in Canada are locked and I want a phone that allows a change of sim cards. Is it best to wait until I arrive in Europe to purchase a phone? Is EBay a good resource for buying unlocked smart phones which are quad-band? All suggestions/advice appreciated.

#1 Posted: 3/6/2009 - 01:12

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

gregoreye

Generally, all SE Asian countries use the GSM network (though 3G is being slowly introduced).

Clearly, any phone that is unlocked will accept any sim card.

Call costs in SE Asia are - by international standards - very cheap.

Personally, if I didn't have an unlocked GSM network phone, I'd acquire any phone that uses the GSM network: it doesn't have to be new as long as it's smallish and reliable.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 20:01

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

ps. I should have said, any GSM phone that is unlocked...

In Australia (where I'm at) we can buy phones that use both GSM and 3G. That way, we can choose which network at pleasure. Maybe that's the sort of phone you might explore.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 20:04

• dezztroyer

Click here to learn more about dezztroyer
    Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2009
    Location Australia

Buy one over there.
    At the moment in HCMC, you can get a phone with a sim card for 55,000 dong. $3usd. includes 145,000 dong worth of credit. Uses the Mobiphone network.

#4 Posted: 24/10/2009 - 15:03

• shalimar

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2009

hi,
    i'm a business traveller and travel a lot , so i have an unlocked verion of blackberry phone and i unlocked it through unlock codes provided by http://www.unlocking4u.com/

#5 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 14:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
MOBILE PHONE ... By MILKDOG on 21 Sep 2006 2 1967 23 Sep 2006
Mobile phone while traveling? ... By LeChron on 9 Jan 2011 8 8202 10 Jan 2011
Buying a mobile phone - Thailand or Malaysia? ... By appro on 9 Aug 2010 0 3425 9 Aug 2010
online bus tickets - did someone book it before by mobile phone? ... By GuideLion on 6 Mar 2014 4 546 8 Mar 2014
Making cheap phone calls on mobile in Laos to UK ... By LoganT on 18 Sep 2009 17 6076 21 Mar 2012