Photo: All you need is a backpack.

Gear and equipment forum

Buying T-Shirts in SE Asia - Size?

Posted by Lawoat on 6/7/2009 at 19:47

Hi All,

I have read in several articles on the forum that in order to not overpack you can buy T-shirts and/or shorts in SE Asia very cheap in comparison to "Western" prices. And as someone said its also a good souvenir to take back home.

However I am just wondering if they sell XL and XXL in Vietnam/Cambodja/... Maybe I am thinking a bit too much in stereotypes but I haven't seen a lot of "big" Asian people (besides sumo wrestlers that is ;-)

Greets,

#1 Lawoat has been a member since 29/6/2009. Posts: 59

Posted by krisim on 6/7/2009 at 21:08

No worries - you will find T-shirts in XL and XXL in both Vietnam and Cambodia, at least in the bigger citys.

#2 krisim has been a member since 20/7/2006. Posts: 36

Posted by MADMAC on 6/7/2009 at 22:28

Yeah, if you are really big, it can be a challenge. A friend of mine living out here has to go to Bangkok to get clothes and shoes... but he's a big boy.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Lawoat on 7/7/2009 at 01:19

What do you consider "big"...its not that I am a sumo wrestler; lets say I am big boned ;-)))

#4 Lawoat has been a member since 29/6/2009. Posts: 59

Posted by MADMAC on 7/7/2009 at 02:08

Well, I would say if you are big for an average American (meaning overweight by some 30 or so pounds and also pretty tall (maybe 6 feet) then it will be tough to get good fitting clothes in some places (not impossible, just tough). If you are a dwarf like me - the size of the average Thai man, you're golden. I have no problem getting clothes or shoes.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by BruceMoon on 8/7/2009 at 20:09

Lawoat

I doubt you'll have problems.

First, the SE ASian males wear large size t-shirts (ie not fitting).

Second, the places you go will be geared for the western traveller and will even have sizes that will swamp on you.

If you happen to go to the major cities like Hanoi, Hoi An, Saigon, etc., (but especially Hoi An) you can even get clothes tailor made to whatever takes your fancy.

Cheers

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Lawoat on 9/7/2009 at 02:02

That means more room in my backpack at departure ;-)

#7 Lawoat has been a member since 29/6/2009. Posts: 59

Posted by Lawoat on 9/7/2009 at 02:02

That means more room in my backpack at departure ;-)

#8 Lawoat has been a member since 29/6/2009. Posts: 59

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.