Gear and equipment forum

Buying T-Shirts in SE Asia - Size?

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Hi All,

I have read in several articles on the forum that in order to not overpack you can buy T-shirts and/or shorts in SE Asia very cheap in comparison to "Western" prices. And as someone said its also a good souvenir to take back home.

However I am just wondering if they sell XL and XXL in Vietnam/Cambodja/... Maybe I am thinking a bit too much in stereotypes but I haven't seen a lot of "big" Asian people (besides sumo wrestlers that is ;-)

Greets,

#1 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 19:47

• Advertisement

• krisim

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 8

No worries - you will find T-shirts in XL and XXL in both Vietnam and Cambodia, at least in the bigger citys.

#2 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 21:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Yeah, if you are really big, it can be a challenge. A friend of mine living out here has to go to Bangkok to get clothes and shoes... but he's a big boy.

#3 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 22:28

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009

What do you consider "big"...its not that I am a sumo wrestler; lets say I am big boned ;-)))

#4 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 01:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, I would say if you are big for an average American (meaning overweight by some 30 or so pounds and also pretty tall (maybe 6 feet) then it will be tough to get good fitting clothes in some places (not impossible, just tough). If you are a dwarf like me - the size of the average Thai man, you're golden. I have no problem getting clothes or shoes.

#5 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 02:08

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Lawoat

I doubt you'll have problems.

First, the SE ASian males wear large size t-shirts (ie not fitting).

Second, the places you go will be geared for the western traveller and will even have sizes that will swamp on you.

If you happen to go to the major cities like Hanoi, Hoi An, Saigon, etc., (but especially Hoi An) you can even get clothes tailor made to whatever takes your fancy.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 20:09

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009

That means more room in my backpack at departure ;-)

#7 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 02:02

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009

That means more room in my backpack at departure ;-)

#8 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 02:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.