Gear and equipment forum

A question of shoes

• Jen2412

Joined Travelfish
    5th July, 2009

When travelling in Thailand if you are not actually doing jungle trekking, do you need footwear other than flip flops? I'll be going to some temples and si Sachanalai Historical park. I'm fairly strapped for cash so I don't want to have to buy trekking sandals if I don't have to. If flip flops won't do then I would assume some form of trainers would??
    xx

#1 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 01:40

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Just wear a pair of comfortable shoes from home. You don't need special shoes to come to Asia. If you find flip flops comfortable then fine - although that is on the low end of the footwear department so I assume fashion is not an issue for you.

As I posted elsewhere, if you are planning on going anywhere nice, then dress the part (this includes temples - but shoes are removed, so not an issue). But if you are just bumming around, eating in road side stands and so forth, then just wear whatever you happen to have that's comfortable.

#2 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 03:01

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Jen

A longish discussion on this at:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelgear/6751_tevas-or-just-cheap-no-name-sandals-

As you'll see there, I take a good quality pair of leather sandals. They fit all occasions.

Trainers make you look like a newbie, and a target for every scammer/tout around. Sometimes, an investment in clothes (even if you buy cheaply in SE Asia) is a good investment.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 20:04

• dedwood

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009

I'll post here rather than starting a new thread.

I will be doing the Gibbon Experience (the waterfall one) and probably a short 1/2 night trek in Luang Prabang this December. Will a pair of sandals like these Birkenstocks - http://www.birkenstock.com.au/media/04369_large.jpg - be alright for the job? Leeches don't worry me all that much really - could happen with boots anyway.

I really don't want to have a second pair of shoes to lug around for the trip when I would really only be using them for 3/4 nights.

#4 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 14:43

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You'd be better with a pair of good quality robust sandals that are strapped to your feet... Tevas or the like.

The Gibbon experience involves a lot of zip lines so Birkenstocks (or flipflops) would be likely to fall off when you do a quick dash to the toilet.

#5 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 15:14

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Flip flops are great for the beach or short walks, but I wouldn't go on a long trip with them as my only footwear. There's been a couple times that I've almost lost a flipflop climbing into a train, onto songthaews, and even as a passenger on a motorbike.

I'm not saying that sandals alone are insufficient... sports sandals or something that holds onto your foot a little better are perfect.

I love my Tevas. I've done everything from climbing a volcano to jungle trekking in them.

#6 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 21:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.