Gear and equipment forum

Malaria

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

What is the best insect repellent as regards malaria?
    I have read that 30% DEET concentration or more should be avoided.
    What is the best insect repellent to buy?

#1 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 18:33

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Grace
    Just take a look in this section at all the mosquitos related threads and you'll get plenty of information.

Best is not so easy - you have to define that first. DDT would probably be best (as in most effective) but other choices might be preferable.

#2 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 20:06

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

gracve

I'd like to be facetious and advise you to bring a Sherman tank, a napalm gun, and a case load of whisky.

The notion of malaria, insect repellent, drugs, etc., would probably be the most talked about subject on the 'Travel Health' forum post (ie, not this one). Why? Because the chemical companies fill our brains with fear in their bid to try and make a profit.

Despite the crap from chemical companies, there are disease risks. Just as the plane you take to go to SE Asia could drop out of the sky.

The challenge for you is to learn about the risks, learn about the methods to minimise those risks, learn about the side effects on your body if you use chemicals or take drugs to address the risks, and work out what is best practice for you.

If you go here you'll see a whole lot of info about repellents (and the chemical make up).

As far as malaria as a disease, first you have to be in an area where malaria is prevalent. This is important to understand before you go rushing out to buy chemicals. Much of SE Asia is not malaria prevalent.

Next, if you are going to travel to a malaria prevalent area, you then have to recognise that preventing being bitten by a malaria carrying mosquito is not only a chemical preventative approach. Rather, that chemical prevention on skin is the last line of defence. The first line of defence is appropriate clothing. The second line of defence is knowing the environments where you are likely to be bitten by malaria carrying mosquito's.

I could go on.

But, the main reason in SE Asia to wear insect repellent is not malaria, but dengue fever.

I suggest you consider again what I said above...

The challenge for you is to learn about the risks, learn about the methods to minimise those risks, learn about the side effects on your body if you use chemicals or take drugs to address the risks, and work out what is best practice for you.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 20:00

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

Thank you Bruce. I will consider taking a bottle of whiskey!!!!!!!!!
    I think you are right. We are experiencing swine flu in our country with about 200 deads. So that´s why I agree with you when you say that being careful and thinking about the effects is the basis of this.
    Love, Graciela.

#4 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 20:11

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

Our medical doctors are also talking about the dengue fever in future months. So all the bugs are around us. Thank you again Bruce.

#5 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 20:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Graciella - I still love that name seniorita. In my minds eye you are a babe.

#6 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 18:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.