Gear and equipment forum

dry bags?

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

i understand the value of having a dry bag...in that it keeps things dry! but what kind of things do you put in them and what kind of size is good to have? i see they vary from tiny to absolutely huge

i guess it would be good to have one for my electronics but do you really need one for clothes too?

this may sound like a total beginner question [because it is!]

thanks again

#1 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 16:29

• Advertisement

• fivesilver

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

Posted from within Vietnam.

Bought a 30L bag for a snorkelling trip off Koh Chang - 3 months later it's one of my favourite purchases. Been travelling through quite a few rainy spots. Currently biking through Vietnam - it sits nicely between my knees.
    Inside? My passport (and the wife's). Various things that we use regularly and at short notice (so we don't have to root them out of the bags on the rack). And if the rain starts to fall, the cameras come off our shoulders, the wallet comes out of my pocket and all goes into the bag.

#2 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 17:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

And SBE (I think!) made a great suggestion for use of a dry bag. Normally, it keeps the water out, but it can also be used to keep the water IN - for washing clothes when your guesthouse doesn't have a plug in the sink!

I bought a smallish one (either the 15 or 25 litre one - can't remember) that will hold the electronics, but that will also be useful for keeping a few things dry when I go on kayaking daytrips. I wouldn't want one much bigger as they can add weight to your pack.

#3 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 07:56

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

christay

As you've probably read, I travel light (if not, go here and look at #4).

The small pack I have has a fold over nylon cover that sort of keeps out light shower-type rain. I don't really use it that much.

While in Vietnam some time ago, I purchased a plastic poncho with hood. I've found that with my pack on, and the poncho on, and the press stud closed at the neck and the tie string done up tight, I can even ride a motorcycle in the rain and my pack still doesn't get wet.

In hindsight, the poncho was one of my best 'investments'.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 11:58

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Oh, and I also have several good quality plastic bags in the front of my pack for camera/passport/etc. if needed. These are the type with plastic zipper on top. The brand in Oz is Glad Snap-Lock.

Cheers (again)

#5 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 12:01

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

My dry bag is quite small, just 5 litres I think, and it's big enough to keep camera, passport, money, phone etc dry ... and act as a bucket! ;-)

They come with a carrying strap and I've seen lots of people use them as daybags ... some people even use the bigger models as their main bag.

I'm not sure where you are heading first Christay, but they're widely available and cheap in Thailand ... you could wait until you get there if you're not sure whether you'll need one or not.

#6 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 06:03

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia

Hi I use a drybag quite a lot when I,m diving for getting on and off boats longtails etc, rain etc. I bought a RobAllen south african drybag which is only 5 litres. Great bag that holds all i need even fits a sarong tightly rolled up for drying yourself off.This also came with a really handy double sealed phone coat which fits my mobile, debit card and a days cash. It also has a cord so you can hang it around your neck for extra security.Wouldn,t leave home without it.

#7 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 07:35

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

i bought one today, 12 litres i think. Large enough but not too large i guess. Not sure it matters to much anyway!

thanks for the help yet again
    Chris

#8 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 01:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.