Gear and equipment forum

Footwear for Angkor

• curstilace

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2007

Hello :)

I'm starting my trip through Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos in a few days, and I intend on packing as light as possible. Shoe-wise I was going to just bring flip-flops for daily wear and maybe a pair of strappy heels for nights out.

My concern is Angkor Wat. I gather that flip-flops (and definitely strappy heels) aren't recommended for climbing up the steep steps, especially in the rainy season.

So here are my options:
    1) bring my Nike sneakers
    2) buy some sandals (though I think they're kinda hideous, and I'm a bit strapped for cash)
    3) skip the climbing of Angkor and just see it from the bottom
    4) ??

What do you think?

#1 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 00:20

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Take your sneakers. No point in buying sandals just to climb the steps at Angkhor Wat though you could do it barefoot if you've got very tough feet I suppose. Flipflops and strappy heels would indeed be rather dangerous. The steps are very steep and it's a long way down.

#2 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 03:29

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

curstilace

I suggest it depends on what you intend to be doing at Angkor, and the weather. The reason I say that is some people clamber all over the ruins, others just wander up and walk around on the pathways.

If the area is wet (as likely), I agree with SBE, if the latter flip-flops will be fine (but not in the wet).

I note the comment re: sandals, but just in case you didn't read the post, try looking here. There, look at my post at #7, and link to the references.

I suggest you consider as you are entering SE Asia during the wet season, and unless you intend to remain in cities ONLY, the terrain and the wetness suggests you might like to think through your current footwear decisions.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 2/8/2009 - 07:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bruce
    I thought you would wear sandals even when traveling to the South Pole.

#4 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 02:23

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

JohnMac

Yep, I'd wear sandals there too, and socks - it's such a cool look down there....

hahahahaha

Cheers

#5 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 04:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.